Recap: Supernatural S 08 E 18 Freaks And Geeks
Season 8, Episode 18
Freaks And Geeks
I saw a way to make the future better, but to get there I had to do something hard. — Victor
Dean: "They're hunters now. You don't just walk away from that. There's only one way out of that, and you and I both know it ain't pretty. Maybe they'll be different. Or maybe if we shut that hell hole once and for and all, those three can have a real life."
Sam: "Maybe they won't be the only ones."
Sam and Dean investigate the death of two women with their throats ripped out in Conway Springs, Kansas.
While posing as FBI agents, they find out the local police have surveillance footage of 3 teenagers beheading a vampire
. Dean recognizes one of the teenagers as Krissy Chambers
, who had left the hunting life after Dean helped her
kill a Vetala
in order to rescue her father and Sam. Sam and Dean track her down in a hotel, where she has tracked a vampire with her two friends Josephine and Aidan
. Krissy manages to drop the vampire with a dart filled with Dead Man's blood, and the vampire begs for help before Josephine beheads him. Krissy explains that her father was killed by a vampire and she is hunting the nest of vampires that killed her father and the families of Aidan and Josephine. They were taken in by Victor Rogers
, a hunter Sam and Dean once worked with on a Rugaru
hunt. Victor is training them to be hunters, but still seems to be giving them a well balanced life with a home and regular school. Sam seems drawn to the possibility of balancing hunting with a normal life, but Dean suspects something is not quite right.
Dean finds out that the vampire they killed was Jimmy Day, a veteran who returned from Afghanistan one month ago, even though Josephine's family was killed three months ago. Dean also discovered that the man in a hoodie who checked in to the hotel room where they found Jimmy was interested in a deserted lodge. When Deann goes to this lodge he finds a newly made vampire who is in pain as she has not fed and has no idea what happened to her. The teenage hunters arrive at the lodge, where Victor told them they would find the vampire that killed Krissy's father. Dean manages to convince them that the newly made vampire may be innocent, and that they should try to help her instead of killing her. Back at Victor's house Sam notices a blue van that they had previously seen Jimmy Day running towards before he was caught. Sam tells Victor, who knocks Sam out. When Sam wakes up he is tied to a chair, and Victor explains that he has been working with a vampire named Seth to make a better generation of hunters. After Victor scouted the teenagers, Seth killed their families so that they would be motivated to be hunters. Victor intends to have Seth kill Sam, and leave his body for the teenage hunters to find, further fueling their need for revenge.
Dean and the teenage hunters return and confront Victor and Seth. Seth manages to grab Aidan, but Josephine stabs Seth while Krissy shoots Seth with Dead Man's Blood. Krissy then points her gun on Victor and dry fires it as she names his crimes. Victor is overwhelmed by guilt and pulls a gun from his boot shooting himself in the head. They use Seth's blood to cure the newly made vampire from the lodge. Dean wants to take Krissy to her aunt in Cincinnati, so she can have a normal life. Krissy wants to stay with Aidan and Josephine, and she says they wont go looking for trouble, but if any monsters come around, they will be ready. Dean agrees to this and tells them Garth
will come by to check on them. Dean also tells Sam they need to close the hell gates so these kids have a chance at a normal life.
- American Football: Dean uses a football metaphor to suggest Sam might want to take it easy.
Listen, if you want to take a knee
on this one if you're not feeling up to it...
- Alas, Poor Villain: Jimmy Day, a recently returned young soldier from Afghanistan turned vampire. His near-victim mentions that he was in tears and apologising when he tied her up, while he later fearfully begs Josephine for his life.
- And This Is for...: Krissy, to Victor.
- Anywhere but Their Lips: As a farewell, Dean offers a fist bump, but Krissy kisses Dean on the cheek instead.
- The Artful Dodger: Krissy.
- Anvilicious: Sam wants a normal life. In case you missed this.
- Badass Bookworm/Black and Nerdy: Josephine is a national merit scholar as well as a hunter. She is reading a math textbook at the breakfast table.
- The Bait: Krissy in the Teaser, which she lampshades.
Krissy: That was close. Next time one of you can be the bait.
- Beauty Mark: The mole under Krissy's left eye.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing/Faux Affably Evil: Victor appears fatherly and well meaning.
Dean: I never trust a guy who wears a sweater.
- Blood Magic: A vampire who has not fed can be cured by drinking the blood of the vampire who made her.
- Bond Villain Stupidity: After tying Sam to a chair, Victor waits for him to wake up from his head injury to explain his plan, allowing enough time for Dean and the teenagers to return.
- Breather Episode: Only in Supernatural would an episode about a man who murders families to create orphans he can turn into child soldiers be considered something a little Lighter and Softer.
- The Bus Came Back: Krissy, who was last seen in "Adventures In Babysitting" (S07, Ep11).
- Can't Stay Normal: Krissy.
Krissy: For a while it was amazing. We had dinner every night at a table. We watched TV, went on walks, even went to the mall.
Dean: And then?
And then, the past came a-knocking
. I woke up one morning and found him dead, his throat ripped out.
- Character Development / Sanity Ball: Dean has always wanted to protect others as a hunter, but this episode really highlights his development which started in "Bloodlust" (S02, Ep03) and has ended with him befriending Benny the vampire.
Dean: Hunting isn't all about killing and revenge.
- Chekhov's Gun: The blue van that pulls up in the teaser, and which Dean later points out after they were chasing Jimmy Day.
- Child Soldiers: Victor created these.
- Continuity Nod:
fiasco was a wake-up call.
- Cover Identity Anomaly: The Kansas drivers license Krissy uses is a laminated white card with a green bar on the top. The actual Kansas drivers license issued in 2010 is blue with a second ghost portrait and a picture of the state capitol building in the background.
- Crowbar Combatant: Aidan grabs a crowbar to use as a weapon in the teaser.
- Cruel Mercy: Krissy refusing to kill Victor, so he can spend the rest of his life alone. Victor's response is to shoot himself.
- Cryptic Background Reference: Sam and Dean met Victor on a Rugaru hunt in Spokane, Washington, years ago.
- Cynicism Catalyst: Victor's family was killed by a Wendigo.
- Damsel in Distress: Connie when Bound and Gagged on the hotel bed with Tears of Fear and running eye makeup.
- Defensive Failure: Dean snatches the gun out of Aidan's hand and releases the magazine.
- Depleted Phlebotinum Shells: Darts filled with Dead Man's Blood.
- Destination Defenestration: The vampire in the teaser breaks the car window and drags Krissy out of the window.
- Dies Wide Open: Victor.
- Disposing of a Body: They wrap up Jimmy Day's body separately from his head in a plastic sheet and put him in the car trunk.
- Don't Go in the Woods: Seth picked up a pamphlet for Conway Springs Lodge at the hotel and uses the camping lodge which is closed for the season as the setting where the teenagers find the newly made vampire.
- Dream Team: Krissy, Josephine, and Aidan, according to Victor.
- Driven to Suicide: After Krissy spares him so he can live with his guilt alone, Victor shoots himself in the head.
- Everybody Owns A Ford: Once again a Subverted Trope in Supernatural with the teenagers driving a 1981 AMC Concord station wagon.
- Everything Is Online / Hollywood Hacking: Krissy is able to hack into the security footage of an ATM and hotel to identify a vampire.
- Evil Mentor: Victor.
- False Roulette: Krissy dry fires her gun at Victor naming his crimes and then drops the bullets she removed from the gun at his feet to symbolize his victims.
- Fantastic Slurs: Vamp and Blood Banger.
- Frame-Up: Victor fakes surveillance camera stills to make a newly made vampire appear to be the vampire that killed Krissy's father.
- Girlfriend in Canada: Lampshaded when Aidan teases Krissy.
Krissy: I told you, I have a boyfriend.
Because we only Skype.
You know, he does, actually. A small town called Kiss My Ass
- Girl with Psycho Weapon: Josephine carries a rifle and wields a machete.
- He's Got a Weapon!: Krissy yells "Gun", when Victor pulls a gun from his boot.
- Home Sweet Home: Victor lives in a charming home painted blue with white trim, a porch, trimmed hedges, and stained glass windows.
Dean: Not what I'd call a compound.
- Hostage Situation: After Seth grabs Aidan, Victor tries to get Krissy to let them leave.
- Hiss Before Fleeing: The vampire Jimmy Day in the hotel room.
- Hungry Menace: Dean says that a newspaper account of "two young women found near the freeway with their throats ripped out" sounds "vampy" to him.
- Idiot Ball: As noble as it was to give Victor a case of Cruel Mercy, even if they had put Garth on his tail, what would have stopped him from trying this again sometime down the line? Given how much of a Knight Templar he had become, Victor's suicide was the only thing that prevented this from definitely happening again.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Victor's justification includes making the world safe for children.
We have to do what we can to survive. But I wouldn't expect you to understand. You're not a father
. You don't know what it's like to hear the cries of your children dying.
- If You Ever Do Anything to Hurt Her...: Subverted. At the end of the episode, Dean pulls Aidan aside...
Dean: Aidan. Listen, there's something I want to tell you about Krissy...
Dean: No, no. No, she'll kill you. [pats Aidan on the back] Good luck.
- Imposter Forgot One Detail: Sam realises something's iffy when Victor's security footage doesn't have a timestamp on it.
- Informed Ability: Victor says Aidan is very fast, which seems odd given that Dean is able to take his gun and Seth is able to grab him.
- In the Hood: Seth the vampire wears a hoodie. He pulls down the hood to dramatic music after parking the van near Victor's house.
- Jurisdiction Friction: Dean insists the Sheriff calls off the APB and give them the security footage, while pretending to be an FBI agent.
Why do you think were here? You just crossed streams
with a federal investigation. Now I suggest you cooperate, call off your APB, or you're going to find yourself in a world or hurt.
- Just a Kid: Dean wants to protect Krissy and the other teenagers from a hunter's life.
Dean: Well, look, I am sorry to rain on your parade, but you are way too young to be doing this.
Krissy: Youíre never too young to kill monsters, especially the ones that kill your family.
- The Ketchup Test: Aidan touches the blood outside the hotel room and then rubs it between his thumb and finger.
- Little Miss Badass: Krissy.
- Machete Mayhem: Aidan and Josephine wield the machete.
- Make-Out Point: Fuller Point, where you can park looking over a dam.
- Mangst: Sam tries to get Dean to talk about Castiel attacking him in "Goodbye Stranger" (S08, Ep17).
Dean: What, like my feelings?
Sam: If that's what you want to talk about, sure.
Sam: Eat me, Dean.
- Manly Tears: Aidan cries after he beheads the Vampire in the teaser.
- Master of Unlocking: Aidan makes short work of the locked hotel room door using a lockpick.
- Memento MacGuffin: Krissy believes the woman in the photo killed her father because she is wearing a necklace which had belonged to her father and had been an anniversary present from her mother.
- Metallicar Syndrome: A big blue van is even more conspicuous than Dean's baby.
- Moe Greene Special: Krissy shoots Seth in the eye with a dart filled with Dead Man's Blood.
- Motivational Kiss: Aidan tries to start this tradition, but is shot down.
Aidan: Hey, how about we start a new tradition, and before each job, we give each other good luck kisses?
Josephine: How about I punch you in the throat instead?
- The Mountains of Illinois / Vancouver Doubling: When driving to the camping lodge in Kansas, Dean drives up a hill and through a redwood forest.
- My Car Hates Me: After the unseen monster throws open the hood and the grinding of metal is heard, Aidan tries unsuccessfully to start the car in the teaser.
- Obviously Evil: Seth is depicted as very creepy and delights in the evil he has done, creating an obvious contrast between him and the newly made vampires.
- One Steve Limit: Another Jimmy.
- Opposed Mentors: Dean shows the teenagers a different way to be a hunter, which is focused on helping others, rather then the revenge motivated hunting of Victor.
- Orphan's Ordeal
- Pistol-Whipping: Victor knocks Sam out by striking him with his gun from behind.
- Precious Photo: Victor shows Sam the photo of his family he carries in his wallet.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The Winchester's hunter friends.
Come on guys. I know your friends. Martin
was insane. And somebody obviously dropped Garth
on his head when he was a baby. And I know you two loved that Bobby
guy, but he was a barely functional alcoholic.
- Really Seventeen Years Old: Krissy has a Kansas Drivers License in her name with the date of birth as 10/12/1988.
- Recruit Teenagers with Attitude
- Removing the Head or Destroying the Brain: Decapitation of vampires.
- Replacement Goldfish: The kids are clearly this for Victor, who's own children were ripped apart by a Wendigo.
- Returning War Vet: Inverted Trope with Jimmy Day becoming a victim instead of a hero within a month of returning from Afghanistan.
- Revenge Before Reason: Josephine beheads Jimmy even though he denies any knowledge of killing her family.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Krissy bribes the hotel clerk when he realizes her ID is fake.
Clerk: You're 25?
Krissy putting two $20 bills on counter: Actually, I think I'm 40.
- Serial Killer: The local sheriff dubbed the recent murders of 2 women under 21 "The Lady Killer Murders" believing this the work of a serial killer, but found it strange that the victims were drained of blood.
- Shaky P.O.V. Cam: The low-light footage from the cameras mounted on Aidan's head and Josephine's head.
- When Sam wants Dean to talk about how he feels, Dean suggests they listen to Cowboy Junkies on the radio.
- Dean describes Krissy as "sneaking out in the middle of the night to go hunt monsters with The Apple Dumpling Gang".
- Dean says the teenagers were caught on Candid Camera.
- Aidan accuses Josephine of "putting salt" in his game, a phrase popularized on The O.C..
- Dean says Jimmy Day was Usain Bolting it to the blue van.
- Krissy makes a reference to the X-Men.
Dean: Wait. So, what are we talking here? Some sort of kids' school for hunters?
Don't be such a dweeb, okay? We're not the X-Men
- Shut Up, Kirk!: Victor is not interested in Sam's opinion or Dean's.
Victor to Sam: I donít need to justify my actions to you or your self-righteous ass of a brother.
- Similarly Named Works: Named after the series Freaks and Geeks.
- Snuff Film: Dean compares the surveillance footage of the beheading at make out point to a snuff film, and is quite upset to see Krissy starring in the footage.
- Social Services Does Not Exist: Victor was allowed to take in 3 unrelated children with no difficulty. Dean leaves 3 teenager to live by themselves. While it is mentioned that Josie is going to be turning 18 soon, this does not solve the problem about what would happen with guardianship of the other two minors who will presumably still be going to school and trying to pay the bills.
- Stages of Monster Grief: None of the newly made vampires get beyond the first stage, denial.
- Stupid Evil: Seth is making more vampire hunters, which doesn't seem like a good idea for a vampire.
- Superhero School: Victor's strategy to create better hunters.
Sam: So, these kids go to school, like school-school, real school?
Victor: Yes, and they're doing incredibly well considering all they've been through.
Dean: Okay, so how does this work? What, after soccer practice and the bake sale they chop vampiresí heads off?
Victor: Well, yeah. I think a balanced approach is best. Don't you?
- Super Window Jump: The vampire Jimmy Day leaves the hotel room by jumping through the closed window.
- Surveillance as the Plot Demands: The closed circuit TV installed at the local make out point and the security footage of the other vampire suspects.
- Talking the Monster to Death: Krissy does this to Victor.
- Tap on the Head
- Teenage Death Songs: "I'll Surely Die" by The Rubens, which plays over the teaser is a current version.
- Terror At Make Out Point: Subverted Trope, with the couple making out in car with steamed up windows, actually serving as vampire bait for a trap.
- They Were Holding You Back: Victor killed the families of each child to make them hunters.
- °Three Amigos!: Krissy is The Hero, described by Victor as "a natural born leader and hunter". Josephine is the Black Best Friend. Aidan is the male friend, who is likely destined to stay just a friend.
- Too Dumb to Live: Seth brags about killing the families of the armed teenage hunters right in front of them.
- Tranquillizer Dart: Krissy drops Jimmy Day with a dart filled with Dead Man's Blood.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior
- Twisted Echo Cut: The scene of Aidan unlocking the hotel room with the vampire inside cuts to a door opening to reveal Sam and Dean entering the room where Krissy is.
- Two Girls and a Guy: Krissy, Josephine, and Aidan.
- Unwanted Rescue: Sam and Dean go to find Krissy, and when they do, she is not exactly thrilled.
Krissy pointing a gun at Dean: What are you two doing here?
Dean: Saving your bacon, that's what.
Krissy: Does it look like my bacon needs saving?
- Vampiric Draining: The two women found near the freeway were drained of blood.
- Villains Want Mercy: Jimmy Day begs for help before he is beheaded. This non-vampire behavior convinces Dean something is wrong.
Dean: Vampires donít beg for their lives, they attack.
- Weakened by the Light: The newly made vampire asks Dean to turn off the lights because they hurt her skin.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Dean objects to killing Victor, despite his guilt, because he is a human.
Dean: We don't kill people.
- Would You Like to Hear How They Died?:
- Write Who You Know: Aidan and Josephine are the names of writer Adam Glass's two children.
- You Look Familiar: Adrian Hough, who plays Victor, previously played Dr. Hydecker in "Something Wicked" (S01, Ep18).
- Young Gun: Krissy, Josephine, and Aidan.