Recap: Supernatural S 07 E 04 Defending Your Life
Recap of Supernatural
Season 7, Episode 4
Season 7, Episode 4
Defending Your LifeWritten by Adam Glass.Directed by Robert Singer.Air Date: October 14, 2011.While investigating a series of very strange murders, Dean and Sam learn that the Egyptian god Osiris is responsible for the killings. A god with nothing but revenge on his mind, Osiris is putting random people on trial for any mistakes they've made in the past and then promptly killing them if they're found guilty. Upon sensing Dean's guilt, Osiris puts him on trial, with Sam becoming Dean's lawyer. But both Sam and Dean are stunned when Osiris calls a witness, someone they thought they'd never see again.
- The Bartender: Mia.
- Big "NO!"
- Call Back: Sam had been finishing up his pre-law studies back in...the very first episode, actually. Wow.
- Continuity Nod: Amy Pond and Jo Harvelle.
- Deadly Euphemism: "Now, stop objecting, or I'll find you in contempt. That is, kill you."
- Died Happily Ever After: Dean comments that Jo actually seems happier now that she's dead than he'd ever seen her in life.
- Dramatic Irony: Sam thanks Dean for letting Amy go...which he didn't actually do.
- Egyptian Mythology: Osiris.
- Fighting Your Friend: Jo's spirit is forced to attack and kill Dean.
- Forgiveness: At the end of the episode, when Dean asks why Osiris didn't go after Sam, Sam says that he has let go of his guilt and moved past it.
- Go Out with a Smile: The last we ever see of Jo on the show is her tenderly cupping Dean's cheek and smiling at him before vanishing back into whatever afterlife Osiris pulled her out of.
- Guilt Complex: Dean's is why Osiris picks him to put on trial.
- I Know Mortal Kombat: "I learned that from The Good Wife."
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: Notably averted; although she's clearly aware of what's happening and clearly doesn't approve, Dean doesn't even bother trying to convince his old friend to fight back against her Mind Control.
- It's All My Fault: Dean sure thinks so.
- Kangaroo Court: Osiris's courtroom.
- Jacob Marley Apparel: Jo Harvelle's ghost is wearing the same clothes she died in. However, she doesn't seem to still have the injuries (disembowelment via hellhound) she died from.
- Jerkass God: Osiris.
- The Judge: Osiris.
- Sadly Mythtaken: Osiris isn't the judge of the Underworld, he's the king. Anubis, as the Guardian of the Scales, is the one who runs the judging ceremony, the "weighing of the heart". He balances your heart against Ma'at ("truth"), generally represented as a feather. If your heart is heavier than the feather, Ammit the Devourer eats it.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Osiris can't actually be killed; the only option the boys have is to seal him away for a couple hundred years.
- Shout-Out: To Judge Judy, Ally McBeal, and The Good Wife.
- Surprise Witness: Jo.
- Undeathly Pallor: Jo Harvelle is way paler now that she's a ghost than she ever was as a flesh-and-blood human.