Previous: Supernatural S 06 E 18 FrontierlandRecap of Supernatural
Next: Supernatural S 06 E 20 The Man Who Would Be King
Next: Supernatural S 06 E 20 The Man Who Would Be King
Season 6, Episode 19
Mommy DearestWritten by Adam Glass.Directed by John Showalter.Air Date: April 29, 2011.The brothers track Eve to Oregon and discover that she's converted an entire town into a new breed of monsters.
Body Count:For this episode = At least 3 dozen Jefferson Starships and the Mother of All.For the series so far = At least 466 humans (of which 6 were witches), 79 demons, 36 Jefferson Starships, 34 ghosts, 26 vampires, 19 zombies, 14 gods, 12 angels, 9 hellhounds, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 shapeshifters, 4 ghouls, 3 djinn, 2 Arachnes, 2 dogs, 2 werewolves, 1 crocotta, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 Khan worm, 1 lamia, the Mother of All, 1 okami, 1 phoenix, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, and 1 wraith.
- Abnormal Ammo: Shotgun shells loaded with phoenix ash.
- A Form You Are Comfortable With: Subverted. Eve takes the form of Dean and Sam's mom just to mess with them.
- Deus ex Machina: Castiel wipes out the "Starships" in the diner with a handy flash of light.Bobby: We gotta take you on more monster hunts.
- Assimilation Plot: Eve's ultimate goal is to turn all humans into hybrid creatures, so that all their souls will belong to her in Purgatory and none will go to Crowley.
- Back for the Dead: Lenore.
- Batman Gambit: Dean swallows some of the phoenix ash and provokes Eve into biting him.
- Bound and Gagged
- Brought Down to Normal: Eve's presence drains Castiel's power.
- Chekhov's Gun: Dean not being affected by the phoenix ash.
- Cold-Blooded Torture
- Continuity Nod: Eve is at first played by the same actress as the virgin she possessed in "Like A Virgin" (S06, E12), which allows for the audience to notice...
- Dramatic Irony: After arriving in Oregon, Team Free Will first goes to Ervin's Diner to look up where Eve is, and, hours later, after torturing her location out of one of her new children...return to the restaurant. A timely pause when they're first in the diner shows her working as a waitress. Furthermore, based on only voice, she was actually the waitress serving their table, whose face was not shown.
- Cute Mute: Ryan.
- Deadpan Snarker: Castiel's got it down pretty well by now.Castiel: [to Bobby] You're right. Pardon me for highlighting their crippling and dangerous empathetic response with [air quotes] "sarcasm".
- Dissonant Serenity: Eve calmly watches the new vampire-wraith-shapeshifter hybrids feast on and turn the other patrons of the bar.
- Doesn't Like Guns: Though Cas is pretty handy with a large knife.
- Evil Versus Evil: Eve has come to Earth in response to Crowley hunting her "children" and is preparing to go to war with him.
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: Little Ryan.
- Faking the Dead
- False Innocence Trick: The brothers are clever enough to test the children before releasing them. Turns out that the virus is dormant in Ryan's body, and this was a deliberate test to see if they'll fool hunters.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Eve says that if the Winchesters refuse to work for her, she'll change them, and they'll obey her anyway.
- Flash Step: Eve goes from one side of the bar to the other in less than a second, hovering menacingly over Dean's neck.
- Friend to All Children: Dean immediately starts trying to bond with Joe and especially Ryan when he and Sam find them in the cell. Unfortunately, Ryan's gone mute in the wake of the attack on his family and is carrying the "Jefferson Starship" virus.
- Glamour Failure: Sam notices in a CCTV screen that the police officers are "Jefferson Starships".
- Good Is Not Nice: Castiel.
- Hoist By Her Own Petard: Eve bites Dean to try and turn him into one of her creatures, only to find out that he had previously ingested some phoenix ash (her one weakness). Cue gory death.
- Homoerotic Subtext: Oh, yeah!Dean: It's not like Cas lives in my ass, dude's busy. [Castiel appears right behind him] Cas, get out of my ass!Castiel: I was never in...y— [Dean and Cas exchange funny looks]
- I Have Your Wife: Eve tries to use Cas and Bobby to force Sam and Dean to work for her. Dean refuses to play along.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: One in rather bad taste when Bobby refers to Lenore as "the vampyre" after Cas burns her up.
- I Told You SoDean: Don't say it!
- The Loins Sleep Tonight: The Obligatory Joke of Castiel's powers vanishing being compared to impotence.Dean: So Mom's making you limp?Cas: [Death Glare] Figuratively, yes.
- Mama Bear: Lampshaded by Eve:Eve: I was pushed into this. After all, a mother defends her children.Dean: Really? You're gonna use the Mother of The Year defence? You?Eve: It happens to be true.
- Monster Is a Mommy: Eve is serious about protecting her children. She's still evil, though.
- Not What It Looks Like: What you say when the police find you in a roomful of dead bodies.
- The Reveal/Wham Shot: Remember how Castiel killed Crowley nine episodes ago? Yeah, Crowley's alive and working with Cas. Uh-oh.
- Shapeshifter Guilt Trip: The Mother of All changes into the mother of Sam and Dean.
- Shout-Out: Zombieland, Pleasantville, Jefferson Starships.
- Soundtrack Dissonance
- Super Strength: Eve rips the door handles off the door of the bar where she's about to infect the customers.
- Staking the Loved One: Lenore asks the Winchesters to kill her so she won't kill any more innocents. They balk at this, then Castiel does the job himself.
- Tainted Veins
- Take That: The reason Dean names the vampire/wraith hybrids after Jefferson Starship:Dean: Cause they're horrible and hard to kill.
- Tested on Humans
- That Poor Car
- The Virus
- Woman in White: Eve. Following Supernatural tradition, she is both evil and, by the end of the episode, dead.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Plenty between Cas and Dean.
- With My Hands Tied: Sam and Bobby fight several police officers with their hands cuffed behind their backs.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!