Season 5, Episode 14
My Bloody Valentine
For this episode = 19 humans and 6 demons.
For the series so far = At least 362 humans (of which 6 were witches), at least 106 demons, 29 ghosts, 11 vampires, at least 9 hellhounds, 6 changelings, 5 angels, 4 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 2 ghouls, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 dog, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rougarou, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, and 1 wraith.
- Actor Allusion: The title is a reference to the movie My Bloody Valentine. Jensen Ackles started in the remake.
- As the Good Book Says: And then will come Famine riding on a black steed. He will ride into the land of plenty.
- Badass in a Nice Suit / Sunglasses at Night: Famine's bodyguards.
- Bad Boss: Famine
- Bureaucratically Arranged Marriage: Cupid's matchmaking comes across as this, with their orders coming from their superiors who are less interested in love and more in preserving bloodlines or needing certain children to be born.
- Big Eater: Castiel, although everyone who has food urges would qualify; he's just the only one who doesn't suffer Death by Gluttony.
- Clingy Jealous Girl / Your Makeup Is Running: Janice
- Death by Gluttony: Lester Finch and everyone in the Biggerson's.
- Eaten Alive
- Empty Shell: Why Dean isn't affected by Famine despite being The Hedonist of the group.
- Evil Cripple
- Going Cold Turkey: Sam is locked up in the panic room, with Castiel and Dean listening to him beg for them to let him out.
- Gory Discretion Shot: And what we see is bad enough.
- Hannibal Lecture: From Famine to Dean.
- Hemo Erotic: Russel and Alice
- Horror Hunger: Famine who is eternally hungry for souls. He also causes this wherever he goes.
- Horsemen of the Apocalypse: Famine
- If I Can't Have You: Two lovers kill themselves so they'll be Together in Death, with no distractions such as work or sleep.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: The coroner has a Quick Nip after autopsying Lester Finch. Not played for laughs when it's later revealed he drank himself to death, having been a recovered alcoholic.
- After not partaking of food, sex and booze for the entire episode, Dean swigs directly from the bottle while outside the panic room, listening to his brother plead to be released.
- Jabba Table Manners
- Kind Restraints: Sam has Dean handcuff him to the sink. Unfortunately this leaves him vulnerable to the demons sent to get him.
- Literal-Minded: When Cupid is first mentioned as a suspect, Dean is skeptical that some cherub in diapers did the murders. Castiel informs him the Cupid is not incontinent.
- Love Goddess: Cupid
- Mooks: Lucifer has sent a bunch of demons to protect and serve Famine. Turns out they're actually there as food for Sam.
- Naked People Are Funny: The Cupid.
- No Sell: Dean punches Cupid and injures his fist. Cupid vanishes, but only because his feelings are hurt.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Dean showing no interest in easy sex or food.
- Psychic Nosebleed: Sam bleeds from the nose with the effort of killing Famine.
- Prayer Is a Last Resort: After Sam is locked in the panic room to detox (again), Dean prays for help and cries. It's pretty clear that he's hitting or about to hit his Despair Event Horizon.
- Red Herring: Cupid
- Short-Distance Phone Call
- Talk to the Fist: Dean punches Cupid when he reveals that his parents hated each other, and only got together because a Cupid made them (well it explains the existence of the Belligerent Sexual Tension trope at least).
- Janice shoots Jim's coworker dead when he interrupts their conversation.
- Themed Aliases: Agents Marley and Cliff (Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff, reggae music artists)
- The Glomp: When Cupid meets Dean, Sam, and Cass.
- Tempting Fate: "Let's crack her open. What's the worst that could happen, right?" Averted when nothing happens except a blast of light.
- Together in Death: Janice and Jim
- Unusual Euphemism: "Go ahead. Unleash the kraken."
- Valentine's Day Episode: With the classic Supernatural spin.
- The Virus: When Dean finds out Sam is craving demon blood, he tells Cas to teleport him out of there pronto. Castiel says it won't make any difference as Sam is already infected.
- Wham Line
"Wait. Your. Turn."
- You Have Got To Be Kidding Me
- You Have Failed Me: Famine eats the demon who let Sam steal the soul he'd been sent to fetch for his lunch.