Previous: Supernatural S 05 E 13 The Song Remains The Same
Next: Supernatural S 05 E 15 Dead Men Dont Wear Plaid
Next: Supernatural S 05 E 15 Dead Men Dont Wear Plaid
Recap of Supernatural
Season 5, Episode 14
My Bloody Valentine
- "So, in "My Bloody Valentine", Dean and Sam think Cupid might be killing people, so they get Castiel from the garbage where they left him to hunt him down!"—One recap of the episode, excluding the fact that it was supposed to be a recap of a movie.
Body countFor this episode = 19 humans and 6 demons.For the series so far = At least 375 humans (of which 6 were witches), 61 demons, 33 ghosts, 11 vampires, 9 hellhounds, 6 changelings, 5 angels, 4 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 2 ghouls, 2 werewolves, 2 dogs, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, and 1 wraith.
- Actor Allusion: The title is a reference to the movie My Bloody Valentine. Jensen Ackles starred in the remake.
- As the Good Book Says: "And then will come Famine riding on a black steed. He will ride into the land of plenty, and great will be the Horseman's hunger, for he is hunger. His hunger will seep out and poison the air."
- Badass in a Nice Suit/Sunglasses at Night: Famine's bodyguards.
- Bad Boss: Famine has no qualms against eating or sacrificing his demonic bodyguards
- Bureaucratically Arranged Marriage: Cupid's matchmaking comes across as this, with their orders coming from their superiors who are less interested in love and more in preserving bloodlines or needing certain children to be born.
- Big Eater: Castiel, although everyone who has food urges would qualify; he's just the only one who doesn't suffer Death by Gluttony.
- Clingy Jealous Girl/Your Makeup Is Running: Janice.
- Cool Car: Famine's black Cadillac Escalade.
- Death by Gluttony: Lester Finch and everyone in the Biggerson's.
- Eaten Alive: The two lovers in the Cold Open eat each other to death.
- Empty Shell: Why Dean isn't affected by Famine despite being The Hedonist of the group.
- Evil Cripple
- Going Cold Turkey: Sam is locked up in the panic room, with Castiel and Dean listening to him beg for them to let him out.
- Gory Discretion Shot: And what we see is bad enough.
- Hannibal Lecture: From Famine to Dean.
- Hemo Erotic: Russel and Alice.
- Horror Hunger: Famine, who is eternally hungry for souls. He also causes this wherever he goes.
- Horsemen of the Apocalypse: Famine.
- If I Can't Have You: Two lovers kill themselves so they'll be Together in Death, with no distractions such as work or sleep.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: The coroner has a Quick Nip after autopsying Lester Finch. Not played for laughs when it's later revealed he drank himself to death, having been a recovered alcoholic, clean for twenty years.
- After not partaking of food, sex, or booze for the entire episode, Dean swigs directly from the bottle while outside the panic room, listening to his brother plead to be released.
- Jabba Table Manners
- Kind Restraints: Sam has Dean handcuff him to the sink. Unfortunately, this leaves him vulnerable to the demons sent to get him.
- Literal-Minded: When Cupid is first mentioned as a suspect, Dean is skeptical that some cherub in diapers did the murders. Castiel informs him the Cupid is not incontinent.
- Love Goddess: Cupid.
- Man Child: Cupid, who is essentially a romantic 8-year-old girl in the vessel of grown, naked man.
- Mooks: Lucifer has sent a bunch of demons to protect and serve Famine. Turns out they're actually there as food for Sam.
- Naked People Are Funny: The Cupid.
- No Sell: Dean punches Cupid and injures his fist. Cupid vanishes, but only because his feelings are hurt.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Dean showing no interest in easy sex or food.
- Psychic Nosebleed: Sam bleeds from the nose with the effort of killing Famine.
- Prayer Is a Last Resort: After Sam is locked in the panic room to detox (again), Dean prays for help and cries. It's pretty clear that he's hitting or about to hit his Despair Event Horizon.
- Red Herring: Cupid.
- Short-Distance Phone Call: Due to Castiel's Offscreen Teleportation powers.Dean: Yeah, room 31-C, basement level, St. James Medical Center— [almost walks into Castiel]Castiel: I'm there now.Dean: Yeah, I get that.Castiel: I'm gonna hang up now.Dean: Right.
- Talk to the Fist: Dean punches the Cupid when he reveals that Dean's parents hated each other at first, and only got together because a Cupid made them (well, it explains the existence of the Belligerent Sexual Tension trope at least).
- Janice shoots Jim's coworker dead when he interrupts their conversation.
- Themed Aliases: Agents Marley and Cliff (Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff, reggae music artists).
- The Glomp: When Cupid meets Dean, Sam, and Cas.Castiel: This is...their handshake.Dean: *being glomped* I don't like it.Castiel: No one likes it.
- Tempting Fate: "Let's crack her open. What's the worst that could happen, right?" Averted when nothing happens except a blast of light.
- Together in Death: Janice and Jim.
- Unusual Euphemism: "Go ahead. Unleash the kraken."
- Valentine's Day Episode: With the classic Supernatural spin.
- The Virus: When Dean finds out Sam is craving demon blood, he tells Cas to teleport him out of there pronto. Castiel says it won't make any difference as Sam is already infected.
- Wham Line"Wait your turn."
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!
- You Have Failed Me: Famine eats the demon who let Sam steal the soul he'd been sent to fetch for his lunch.