Recap of Supernatural Season 5, Episode 12
Written by Julie Siege, Rebecca Dessertine, and Harvey Fedor; teleplay by Julie Siege.
Directed by Robert Singer.
Air Date: January 28, 2010.
Gary, a teenage nerd, meets Dean and Sam and conjures up a body-switching spell, exchanging bodies with Sam. Thrilled with his new looks, Gary takes advantage of his new appearance by hitting on women and drinking alcohol. He meets up with Dean, who at first does not realize Sam is not the real Sam. The two start working on a case and kill a ghost together, although "Sam" seems to try to take a chance to kill Dean, unknowingly to Dean. Meanwhile, Sam is stuck in Gary's body and has to deal with his strict parents and high school. He finds out that Gary owns a book with satanic symbols all over it and sets off for his locker at high school. After he has retrieved the book, he is shot by Gary's friend Trevor with a tranquilizer gun. He and another friend of Gary's, Nora, take him to a basement and reveal that they have made a pact with a demon, who offered them everything they wanted in exchange for Sam and Dean. Trevor conjures the demon, who possesses Nora and kills Trevor, whose demands irritate the demon. As the demon tastes Trevor's innards it declares they "taste like moron
". The demon (still in the form of Nora) goes after Gary and tries to persuade him to meet Lucifer and "answer one little question" with "yes", which would let the Devil into his True Vessel. Gary refuses and, with Dean's help, exorcizes the demon. In the end, Gary reverses the spell and the boys take him home. Before leaving, Sam tells Gary that he should be glad to have a normal life and a family, but when he and Dean get into the car, he states that Gary's life "sucked ass". Dean counters by saying that perhaps they themselves just don't know the good things they're missing out on.
For this episode = 1 human, 1 ghost, and 1 demon.
For the series so far = At least 343 humans (of which 6 were witches), at least 100 demons, 29 ghosts, 11 vampires, at least 9 hellhounds, 6 changelings, 4 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 4 angels, 2 ghouls, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 dog, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, and 1 wraith.
- And a Diet Coke: And a Healthquake Salad Shake.
- Apologetic Attacker: Gary as he's about to kill Dean.
- Breather Episode: The last one of this season...
- Bullying a Dragon
- Burger Fool: Gary even wears a red white and blue cap.
- Conveniently Timed Attack From Behind: Or maybe in front—Gary is Blown Across the Room by an invisible ghost just as he's about to shoot Dean In the Back. Ironically Dean is then saved from the ghost by Gary, who burns her bones as she's charging him.
- Deal with the Devil
- Dominatrix: The older woman Gary picked up at the bar enters the bedroom in black vinyl, whacking a switch against her palm.
Gary: I am in way over my head.
- Dramatic Irony: "Who are you, and what have you done with Sam?" Dean says this jokingly, not realizing he's literally Not Himself.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: When will witches learn?
- "Freaky Friday" Flip
- Grand Theft Me
- How We Got Here
- Idiot Ball: It takes Dean most of the episode to figure out that Sam is Not Himself. This is in the middle of the Apocalypse, where angels are looking to possess Sam.
- Instant Sedation: Sam, despite being huge, drops like a rock.
- Out-of-Character Alert: When "Sam" says "Evening, barkeep, I would like to purchase some alcohol," it's obvious to anyone who knows Sam that he would never say that. It also made the bartender very suspicious.
- Sam referring to himself in the third person and not knowing his locker number tips off Gary's friends that the body swap has already taken place.
- Really Seventeen Years Old: "I am 26, as you can see from my license."
- Master of Unlocking: Sam and the combination lock on the locker.
- Mistaken for Junkie: Police, family, and friends assume Gary is drunk or high when Sam is in his body.
- Mrs. Robinson: Crystal.
- Nerds Are Virgins: "Who are you?" Checks out his AP Physics and Chemistry textbooks. "Smart kid." Checks out his Darth Vader T-shirt. "Virgin." Finds Busty Asian Beauties in a box under his bed. "Frustrated virgin."
- Oblivious to Love: Sam has to tell Gary that Nora isn't into Satanism; she's into Gary.
- Porn Stash: Busty Asian Beauties under the bed.
- Precocious Crush: Dean and his babysitter.
- Sleeping Dummy
- To the Pain: "OK, pal, either you start talking or I start waterboarding."
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self
- Third-Person Person
- Tome of Eldritch Lore
Sam: Oh, no, Gary. This is a very, very bad book.
- Too Dumb to Live: Trevor.
- Tranquilizer Dart
- Unlucky Everydude: Gary.
- Vomit Discretion Shot: Sam discovering his new body is allergic to gluten.
- Would Not Hurt A Child: Why Gary is a Karma Houdini.
Dean: If you were of voting age...you'd be dead. Because we would kill you. So either you straighten up and fly right, or we will kill you!
- Youth Is Wasted on the Dumb