Recap / Superman The Animated Series S 2 E 15 Fathers Day
To curry his fatherís favor, the New God brute Kalibak goes to Earth to destroy Superman. Meanwhile, Clarkís parents Jonathan and Martha Kent are visiting him in Metropolis for Fatherís Day. The city takes a beating as the two sons battle it out.
This episode includes examples of the following tropes:
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Kalibak really isn't.
Kalibak: Please! Father!
Darkseid: [blasting him] You'll beg louder than that when I'm done with you.
- Badass Boast: After Superman demands to know who he is, Darkseid blasts him and forces him to the ground.
"That is who I am."
- Cerebus Syndrome: The second appearance of Darkseid. Until then, Superman had faced various foes, but none of them could withstand him in a conventional fight for long - not even Brainiac or Metallo. In this episode, Superman fights off Darkseid's son Kalibak with some difficulty, but then he meets the lord of Apokolips himself and is laid low in seconds as a warning and a command to bend the knee. Darkseid's next appearance sees him outright defeat Superman and string him up for the world to see and despair at. He leaves after humanity (backed up by the intervention of New Genesis) tells him to get lost, but not before murdering Dan Turpin for leading the shouts of defiance.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Darkseid is well-aware that Superman is his greatest obstacle to conquering Earth and that he must be handled carefully.
- Heroic Second Wind: Kalibak inadvertently pushes the Relative Button by gloating about how defeating Superman will bring his father's approval, reminding Supes that his father is still trapped inside a precarious damaged building.
- I Have No Son: How Darkseid regards Kalibak.
"A technicality of his birth. As far as destiny and I are concerned, I have no son."
- Smug Snake: Desaad manipulates Kalibak into going after Superman against Darkseid's orders, figuring that whether he succeeds of fails the result will take Darkseid's attention off Desaad's own failure. When Darkseid finds out what Kalibak did, Desaad pretends to know nothing about it.