Superman conducts a test flight of the rocket that brought him to Earth, and Professor Hamilton wonders about the "great achievements" and "brilliant minds" to be found among the stars. Cut to Lobo
, capturing a target in a seedy alien bar. His trip to collect the bounty is interrupted when an alien collector hires him to capture a bigger prize — the last Kryptonian.
This episode provides examples of:
- Angrish: Lobo often lets loose with garbled tirades, apparently as a substitute for the way he (as the DVD commentary puts it) "swears like a sailor" in the comics.
- Continuity Cameo: Starro is one of the creatures in the Collector's zoo. This is just a throwaway reference at the time, but becomes significant later in the Batman Beyond episode "The Call".
- Fun with Acronyms: Lobo spelling out his name:
Lobo: The name's Lobo. That's L as in "lacerate", O as in "obliterate", B as in "disembowel", and O as in, uh... well, I guess I can use "obliterate" twice.
- Genocide from the Inside / Where I Was Born and Razed: Lobo destroyed his home planet. He calls it his "science project", for which he gave himself an A.
- Lobo Can Breathe In Space: This episode confirms that the DCAU Superman needs a spacesuit to venture into space. Lobo can live (and talk) in space just fine without one.
- Tailor-Made Prison: The Collector keeps Superman in a simulated Krypton environment, complete with a red sun lamp that drains his powers.