Recap / Stargate Universe S 1 E 9 Life
Camile Wray and Matthew Scott visit Earth while the crew on the Destiny
struggle to maintain their lives. The interface chair is discovered.
- Bookends – the opening and ending sequences reflect each other.
- Continuity Nod - The crew finds and Ancient control chair on the ship, a more primitive version of the chairs on Atlantis and the "Face Suckers" on SG-1. Colonel Young is quick to point out that interfacing with them is usually a death sentence.
- Dirty Coward - Rush is quite eager for someone to test the control chair, but is clearly unwilling to do it himself.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty – Sgt. Spencer during the civilian exercise drills.
- Happily Married – Camile; averted with Young.
- Motivational Lie - Rush plants fake data in the Destiny database, indicating that an Icarus-type planet is a year down the road, in order to motivate the crew to help him unlock the ship's control system and boost their morale. He's also hoping that someone else will be willing to sacrifice themself by sitting in the control chair.
- Outright Lie – Rush, who seems to have no understanding why lying was not the right thing to do.
- Sanity Slippage - Sgt. Spencer's mental state gets worse throughout the episode.
- Shower of Angst - Camille has one when she learns that the Icarus planet is a lie.
- There Are No Therapists – with TJ as the only medical professional on a crew of 80, there literally are no therapists on Destiny. When Young asks her to run psych evaluations on everyone, she points out she doesn't have the training to do that.
- Unusual User Interface – in the course of exploring the ship, Greer finds the interface chair.