Recap: Star Wars The Clone Wars S 5 E 16 The Lawless
Tropes Associated with this Episode:
- Actor Allusion: Yet another character named Satine, in love with a character portrayed by Ewan McGregor , doomed to die in his arms thanks to a blood-filled lung.
- Badass Grandpa: Darth Sidious in spades, at last
- Bolivian Army Ending: For Bo-Katan, who is last seen fighting Maul's group of Death Watch while Obi-Wan escapes Mandalore. But she probably will return.
- Break the Badass / Kick the Dog: Darth Maul murders Duchess Satine just to make Obi-Wan suffer and lose the will to fight.
- Ironically, the episode ends gloriously with one of these for Darth Maul at the hands of Darth Sidious.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: The now-divided Death Watch. Those following Maul are indicated by red and black armor (one of the lieutenants has Zabrak-like horns on his helmet, too) while those loyal to Bo-Katan have the same color scheme they always had.
- Curbstomp Battle: Depending on your point of view, the epic Sith fight is one of these: on the one hand, the Zabraks manage to land a blow each on Sidious (who, at one point, seems fatigued); on the other hand, Sidious is pretty much laughing the entire time and ragdolls the brothers more than once with the Force, and every blow the Zabraks did land, Sidious ended up taking advantage of.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Duchess Satine dies in Obi-Wan's arms after being stabbed by Darth Maul
- The Dreaded: Darth Sidious to Darth Maul
- Subverted hilariously with Savage Opress, who doesn't quite seem to grasp the nature of the old hooded man before him.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones:
- Bo-Katan was pretty saddened when Obi-Wan says, " You're Satine's sister, aren't you? I'm so sorry..."
- Darth Maul was pretty upset when Savage Opress was killed by Darth Sidious.
- Enemy Mine: Bo-Katan helping Satine and Obi-Wan out. Even lampshaded by the classic line, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."
- Heroic BSOD: Obi-Wan gets one when Darth Maul murders Duchess Satine.
- Heroic Second Wind: After Sidious killed Savage, and mocked him, about being replaced as the Sith apprenice, Maul went toe-to-toe with his former Master in the remainder of their ligthsaber duel, but was ultimately defeated.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Twice in this episode with Duchess Satine (courtesy of Darth Maul) and Savage Opress (Courtesy of Darth Sidious)
- In Memoriam: This episode was dedicated to Ian Abercrombie, the voice actor for Palpatine/Darth Sidious who had passed away one year prior to this episode's airing. His lines in this episode were some of the last he ever recorded.
- Killed Off for Real: Satine and Savage Oppress.
- Mood Whiplash: This episode is a somewhat light-hearted rescue mission up until the Twilight gets destroyed. This was discussed in the The Clone Wars Google Hangout.
- No Ending: The episode abrubtly ends with Darth Sidious torturing Darth Maul with Force Lightning, while saying that he may have some small use for Maul, but it's left ambiguous.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Sidious deals a ferocious one to Maul with the Force after disarming him in the wake of Savage's death
- Oh Crap: Darth Maul gives one of these when he senses his Master's arrival
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Bo-Katan being the red oni, to Satine's blue oni. Helped by the fact the two are actually sisters.
- Uncomfortable Elevator Moment: When Obi-Wan (disguised as a Maul-factionist DW member) attempted to break Satine out of prison, they ran into a Death Watch member at the elevators. They guy was a bit slow, but eventually asked for the autorization code, at which point, Obi-Wan had to knock him out.
- World of Badass: Maul, Savage, Obi-Wan, Bo-Katan, and Darth Sidious radiating Badass in one episode.
- Would Hit a Girl: Darth Maul stabs Duchess Satine just so that he can make Obi-Wan suffer.