"Only through fire is a strong sword forged."The Republic calls on the Gungans of Naboo to send aid to Mon Calamari.
Tropes used in this episode include:
- Back-to-Back Badasses: At one point during the scene where Ahsoka and Kit Fisto attempt to help Lee-Char free POWs after the Gungans arrive to reinforce the heroes, Ahsoka defends Lee-Char's back with her sabers while Lee-Char shoots enemies using a Quarren blaster dropped by a dead soldier.
- The Bad Guy Wins: The episode ends with Riff Tamson victorious against the Republic/Mon Calamari Army and their Gungan reinforcements, with only Ahsoka and Lee-Char uncaptured. Two characters aren't enough to start a new rebellion against Riff Tamson's rule on Mon Calamari.
- Call Forward: Captain Ackbar is heading toward a ship. It's a trap and blows up.
- The Cavalry: The Gungan Grand Army from Naboo shows up to reinforce the Republic and Mon Calamari troops at Mon Calamari and turn the tide of the battle in Republic favor. Horribly subverted in that it ends up not going very well, with Riff Tamson's trident ships causing underwater typhoons that overwhelm and capture the troops, leading the Separatists to victory.
- Darkest Hour: The episode ends with most of our heroes defeated and captured by Riff Tamson's troops. The Battle for Mon Calamari is pretty much more than won by the Separatists, and only Ahsoka and Lee-Char remain free and on the run.
- Downer Ending: Unlike the previous episode, our heroes don't live to fight another day, because the Republic/Mon Calamari/Gungan Military Force (except for Ahsoka and Prince Lee-Char) is defeated and captured by Riff Tamson's forces. The Separatists and Quarren are pretty much triumphant on Mon Calamari. This guarantees the Republic has lost the war on Mon Calamari. Sure, things get better at the third act, next episode, but that was still a very cruel way to end a season premiere.
- Tempting Fate: The Gungans arrive, and Kit Fisto says the tide of the war on Mon Calamari has turned in the good guys' favor. Unfortunately it ends up turning around and the battle goes south for the good guys.