Recap: Star Wars The Clone Wars S 4 E 2 Gungan Attack
- Back-to-Back Badasses: At one point during the scene where Ahsoka, Kit Fisto attempt to help Lee-Char free POWs after the Gungans arrive to reinforce the heroes, Ahsoka defends Lee-Char's back with her sabers while Lee-Char shoots enemies using a Quarren blaster dropped by a dead one.
- The Bad Guy Wins: The episode ends with Riff Tamson victorious against the Republic/Mon Calamari Army and their Gungan Reinforcements, and two characters isn't enough to start a new rebellion against Riff Tamson's rule on Mon Calamari.
- The Cavalry: The Gungan Grand Army from Naboo shows up to reinforce the Republic and Mon Calamari troops at Mon Calamari and turn the tide of the battle in Republic favor. Horribly subverted in that it ends up not going very well, with Riff Tamson's trident ships causing underwater typhoons that overwhelmed and captured the troops, causing the Separatists to be victorious.
- Darkest Hour: The episode ends with most of our heroes defeated and captured by Riff Tamson's troops, and the Battle for Mon Calamari is pretty much more than won by the Separatists, and only Ahsoka and Lee-Char are not captured and on the run, and the chance for unifying Mon Cala and defeating the Seppies: "Three thousand and seven hundred and twenty to one!"
- Downer Ending: Unlike the previous episode, our heroes don't live to fight another day, because the Republic/Mon Calamari/Gungan Military Force (except for Ahsoka and Prince Lee Char) is defeated and captured by Riff Tamson's forces. The Separatists and Quarren are pretty much triumphant on Mon Calamari. This guarantees the Republic has lost the war on Mon Calamari. Sure, things get better at the third act, next episode, but that was still a very cruel way to end a season premiere (It was equally as tragic as the premiere of the second season of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, which aired the next morning.)!
- It Got Worse
- Tempting Fate: The Gungans arrive, Kit Fisto says the tide of the war on Mon Calamari is turned in the good guys' favor. Unfortunately it ends up turning around and the battle goes south for the good guys.