This episode provides examples of:
- Astonishingly Appropriate Appearance: "Kage" means "shadow" in japanese. The Kage warriors have dark skin, and they're ninjas.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: The milodons used as mounts by the Kages.
- Beneath the Earth: Due to Quarzite's high pressured atmosphere, it's uninhabitable on the surface, so the belugans and the kages dwell underground.
- Breather Episode: While action packed, with some genuinly dark themes touched upon, this episode was much Lighter and Softer than either the previous one, or the following two were.
- Bureaucratically Arranged Marriage: Pluma Sordi was kidnapped from her family and people in order to be wed to Otua Blank, the dictator of the belugans.
- Character Development: Ventress goes through a quite big one, when she decides to let go the Sordi siblings.
- Civil War: Between the belugans and the kages.
- Cool vs. Awesome: Alien bounty hunters vs Ninjas!
- Drowning My Sorrows: Arriving on Tatooine, Ventress' goes straight to a bar, where she orders a short drink, gulps in down at once, and immediately orders another.
- Filler: The episode had little plot relevance, and focused on Ventress's development as a character.
- Not So Different: Ventress, after hearing Pluma Sordis' story, comes to realise that the girl's predicament is very similar to hers.
- Space Elevator: Quarzite has one, as due to its high-pressure atmosphere, it's impossible to land on it with spacecrafts. But then how did they build the elevator in the first place?
- Tempting Fate: This exchange:Krizmo Hodi: I've come for what's mine.
Mayor Rigosso: Over my dead body... [Krismo impales him across the chess with a thrown dagger]
- Train Job: The Kage warriors tried one in order to free Pluma from her captors.