All warfare is based on deception.Obi-Wan fakes his death to go undercover as his own killer at a Republic prison so he can uncover a plot to kill the Chancellor.
This episode provides examples of:
- The Cameo: Boba Fett makes a brief appearance in the prison and picks a fight with the (disguised) Obi-Wan.
- Cold Sniper: Rako Hardeen.
- Cramming the Coffin: As part of the escape plan, Bane, Eval and "Hardeen" hide in chutes taking dead bodies to the crematorium. Obi-Wan is forced to get into the one that already has a dead prisoner in it.
- Death Faked for You: Obi-Wan has his murder faked in order to have enough Villain Cred after assuming the murderer's identity.
- Prison Riot: Cad Bane pays Boba Fett to get into a fight with "Rako Hardeen" in order to start one as a means of escape.
- We Will Not Use Stage Makeup In The Future: Obi-Wan is given Rako Hardeen's face by means of a painful procedure involving the injection of a substance with a very large needle. Well, he was going to prison.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The real Rako Hardeen is never seen again after Obi-Wan starts impersonating him. There was supposed to be a scene in "Friends and Enemies" where Anakin caught Rex taking Hardeen to a safe location, but it was scrapped because the writers thought it would be out-of-character for Rex to conceal information from Anakin.
- Whole Plot Reference: To Face/Off: A good guy has his face swapped with that of a criminal in order to infiltrate a high-security prison and uncover a plot.