"Those who enslave others, inevitably become slaves themselves."Anakin, Ahsoka, and Obi-Wan go undercover on Zygerria in an effort to discover the location of the slaves and dismantle the new empire.
This episode provides examples of:
- The Bad Guy Wins: The episode ends with the Zygerrians successful in capturing our heroes. The warden on Kadavo succeeds in subduing Obi-Wan, the prime minister has the freedom to mercilessly torture Ahsoka, and Anakin is the queen's slave; she offers to free Anakin's friends if he willingly submits to her.
- Better to Die than Be Killed: A Twi'lek slave girl kills herself rather than be reprocessed after failing to assassinate Miraj Scintel.
- Break the Badass: Obi-Wan is forced into submission to the Zygerrians after Agruss drops slaves to their dooms on Kadavo, to make a point that the Togruta slaves will end up being the ones suffering, should Obi-Wan rebel.
- Cliffhanger: The episode goes into the mid-season break with all four heroes captured and seemingly without hope of escape.
- Darkest Hour: The episode ends with our heroes captured by the Zygerrians and separated in different locations, with Ahsoka being sadistically tortured by the prime minister of Zygerria, Atai Molec, Rex and Obi-Wan sent to Kadavo, and for the record, Anakin as Queen Miraj Scintel's personal slave and guard. The queen tempts Anakin to join her willingly, in exchange for the freedom of Anakin's friends.
- Despair Event Horizon: Obi-Wan crosses this after Agruss drops slaves to their demises to discourage Obi-Wan from trying to rebel against him, because he will make the slaves suffer if he does so.
- Downer Ending: The first half of Season Four ends thusly: Our heroes have been thwarted in their escape from Zygerria and are separated. Ahsoka is imprisoned above the Zygerrian queen's palace and is being tortured mercilessly by Atai Molec. Obi-Wan and Rex, along with the Togrutan governor of Kiros, Roshti, are sent to Kadavo, and submit to the Zygerrians after the warden, Keeper Agruss, drops several slaves to their dooms. Anakin is now the Zygerrian queen's personal slave and guard on Zygerria and is left pondering whether to join the queen willingly in exchange for the freedom of his friends. In other words, the attempt to locate the colonists has failed, and we assume that no one is coming to rescue our heroes. The ending is made even more tragic by the fact that the last part of the story arc, "Escape from Kadavo", didn't air till January 6th, 2012. Sure, things get better next episode, a month later, but that was still a very bleak way to end the first half of a season.
- Driven to Suicide: A Twi'lek slave, after a failed assassination attempt on Miraj Scintel, throws herself off a balcony rather than continue being a slave.
- Establishing Character Moment: The slave pen warden, Agruss, drops a band of slaves to their death in an inactive volcano, just to make a point to Obi-Wan of how he intends to break his will.
- Fat Bastard: The warden, Keeper Agruss, is a portly Zygerrian who uses a hover chair rather than walk anywhere, and kills about a dozen slaves to make a point in his only scene of the episode.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The episode is full of these, including a suicide scene.
- Terrifying Rescuer: Obi-Wan scares the heck out of an alien he's trying to rescue from slave traders, because he's disguised as one of them.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The last time we see R2-D2 in this episode is when he gives our heroes their lightsabers for their planned but failed escape plan; we don't see what happens to him after the capture of our heroes.