Recap / Star vs. the Forces of Evil S3 E11 "Stranger Danger"
Star meets a mysterious woman in the royal rose garden... who turns out to be none other than Eclipsa, Queen of Darkness, freed from her crystal prison! While the Magic High Commission goes into "red alert" and captures her, Star tries to find out more about her dreaded ancestor.
- Affably Evil: Eclipsa sure seems nice enough, acting polite even when Moon and the High Commission threaten her, but there's subtle hints that she's planning something.
- Ambiguously Evil: As Star points out, Eclipsa doesn't really seem evil...or at least not evil enough to deserve eternal imprisonment in crystal. Her only real offences were abdicating the throne to be with her monster lover, and dabbling in dark magic. The latter of which she says she did to survive, and according to Star, Eclipsa's chapter "wasn't that big of a deal". It remains to be seen where Eclipsa's morality truly lies.
- Big Eater: Eclipsa's got a bucket full of candy wrappers when Star first meets her.
- Blunt "Yes": When Omnitraxus brings up Eclipsa making fun of Rhombulus by calling him "annoying".
Rhombulus: Can you believe that?!
- Calling the Old Woman Out: Star gets mad at her mother for trying to go back on her word by locking Eclipsa up again, and accuses her of trying to dodge her responsibility in using the "darkest spell" by claiming that Eclipsa "influenced" her somehow.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Star makes it clear that she doesn't trust Eclipsa, and she even admits that it was selfish on Eclipsa's part to simply abandon her duties as Queen to run off and marry a monster. However, she doesn't believe this warrants her being crystallized for eternity, especially since her mother and the High Commission can't provide any real evidence that Eclipsa has committed an actual crime.
- Eats Babies: Rhombulus claims that Eclipsa eats babies, but Hekapoo points out he's thinking of Bubipsa the Barbarian Baby-Eater.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Star's examination randomly involves a monkey grooming her hair for "evil fleas". As expected of Star, she "only" has regular fleas.
- Follow the White Rabbit: Star meets Eclipsa chasing after Glossaryck when he runs off into the garden.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Rhombulus's crystalizing beam ricochets around the room and hits him on the butt, he's interrupted before he can say exactly where they're coming from...
- Good Is Not Dumb: Star is willing to give Eclipsa a fair trial and the benefit of the doubt, but is still fairly slow to trust her.
- Shot in the Ass: Rhombulus gets hit in the ass with his own crystallizing beam.
- Something About a Rose: Eclipsa is very sentimental about the royal garden, specifically the rose bed overlooked by her old room. Depending on how her story plays out, it may overlap with The Tragic Rose.
- Strapped to an Operating Table: The High Commission strap down Star while examining her for signs of evil.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Star is sure to call Moon and the Magic High Commission out for being so paranoid about Queen Eclipsa.
Star: Will you all just listen to me for one second?! Crystallizing people is a serious punishment, and so far, no one has been able to convince me that Eclipsa deserves it!
Queen Moon: Star, I know Eclipsa seems nice, but she can get into your head and make you do things you don't want to do.
Star: [very sarcastically] Oh my goodness, you're right! Giving you that spell to destroy Toffee was her idea! Oh no, wait. You were the one who went to her for help.
Queen Moon: Well, yes, but—
Star: And you made a deal with her! When Toffee was destroyed, she'd be set free! Well, hey, Toffee's gone, and you want to go back on your word?!