Bynars upgrade the Enterprise's computers in spacedock. Riker and Picard become distracted by a surprisingly realistic holodeck character.
- Abandon Ship: The Bynars make it look like the Enterprise's warp core is going to fail, leading the crew to evacuate the ship and pilot it out of spacedock to minimize possible casualties.
- The Cast Showoff: Riker plays the trombone for the first time on the show, since Jonathan Frakes plays trombone in real life.
- Did Not Think This Through: As pointed out at the end of the episode, the Bynar could have just asked for their help?! Somewhat justified, as their binary thinking meant they only saw two options and they simply couldn't take "No" for an answer!
- A better example is that it needed two humans to operate the system to reboot the Bynar planet, yet they only kidnapped one, Riker, and Picard only ended up on board by accident.
- The Dividual: Bynars are like this by nature.
- Finishing Each Other's Sentences: Bynars do this all the time.
- Not So Different: Bynars take children and remove part of their brain, replacing it with cybernetic implants that mean they are forced to work in tandem with another Bynar. In retrospect, what exactly makes them any better than the Borg?
- Take a Third Option: Ironically, this is what the Bynars did. They knew if they asked the Federation for help, the only possible answers were "Yes" or "No".