Recap / Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 07 E 11 Prodigal Daughter
When Miles goes missing on New Sydney in search of Bilby's wife
, Ezri is sent after him. And forced to interact with her crumbling family.
This episode contains examples of:
- Affectionate Nickname: Ezri's brothers call her 'Zee'.
- Blackmail Backfire: Morica Bilby's demands became so outrageous that Norvo was forced to kill her to keep the mine from going bankrupt.
- Call-Back: The Tigan's mine extracts pergium, which was first mentioned in the Original Series episode "Devil In The Dark".
- The Dutiful Son: Janel works in the family mining business, and feels some resentment that Ezri and Norvo don't.
- Dysfunctional Family: The Tigans in spades - Yanas is a domineering and cold matriarch, Janel is the older brother who resents his siblings and feels the pressure when the business struggles, and Norvo is the flighty "artisan" that seems to be The Unfavorite who can't measure up to Janel in Yanas' eyes.
- Foreign Queasine: Ezri nearly loses her lunch when a shipment of Gagh Jadzia ordered arrives on the station. The fondness apparently didn't migrate over from her... Which is a nice piece of Foreshadowing for her advice to Worf in a later episode about what to do about the Klingon Empire.
- Jerk Ass: O'Brien behaves like this towards Ezri, even accusing her of tricking him when they find the payments to Bilby's widow despite her being the one who suggested looking into her family's accounting. Later he shows no sympathy whatsoever to Norvo's mental issues.
- My Beloved Smother: Yanas is this and then some.
- My Greatest Failure: Yanas takes The Reveal of Norvo's homicide pretty hard.
Yanas: This isn't my fault, is it Ezri? I didn't do this, did I???
[Ezri looks at her, and walks away]
- Police Brutality: Subverted - The New Sydney Police bring in a battered and bloodied O'Brien, and when Ezri protests they point out he only got punched once by them when he resisted. The rest of the beating was courtesy of the Orion Syndicate.
- Ungrateful Bitch: Morica Bilby who despite being cared for by the Tigan family blamed them as much as the Syndicate, demanding more and more money that led to her eventual death at Norvo's hands.