Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 06 E 23 Profit And Lace
After adding a new amendment that permits females to wear clothes, Zek is deposed as Nagus and replaced by Brunt. And he and Quark devise a plan to sway a powerful Ferengi businessman: Quark's mother, Ishka, will prove to him that females can be just as shrewd as males, and thus giving them equal rights will be good for the economy. Too bad Ishka has a heart attack while getting into a screaming argument with Quark, forcing them to find a new, very offensive plan involving Quark, a dress and radical surgery.Has the dubious distinction of being rated the worst episode of the entire series by SF Debris.
- Brand X: Slug-o-Cola
- Disguised in Drag: Quark.
- Hollywood Heart Attack: Ishka collapses while arguing with Quark.
- Idiot Ball:
- Worf. As Strategic Operations Officer, he should have appreciated the consequences if the Dominion invaded Ferenginar. Seizing an economic powerhouse would likely help the Dominion rebuild their forces or buy peace. Instead, he brushes it off as unimportant.
- Quark gets his own turn at the beginning, when he attempts to extort the Ferengi equivalent of a handjob from an employee under threat of firing her, after making it clear that said employee is a significant asset to Quark's business - she gets along with the other staff, likes her job and is popular with the customers. Usually Quark is a lot better at thinking with the correct head. Doesn't hurt that Sisko explicitly forbade him from doing exactly this back in season one...
- Larynx Dissonance: Quark has trouble sounding feminine.
- Mood Whiplash: Goes from cross-dressing comedy to discussing the rights of women and back to comedy. This was aggravated by Alexander Siddig's direction, since he was under the impression that the piece would work better as a drama and so a number of scenes were shot to play up the dramatic side rather than be funny.
- Overused Running Gag: "Acting Grand Nagus!"
- Parental Favoritism: Ishka prefers Rom to Quark.Rom: Moogie! I was so worried.Ishka: You're a good son.Quark: I was worried too.Ishka: And you're a good liar.
- Series Continuity Error: Ben Sisko flatly banned Quark from using Sexual Extortion on his female employees way back in season one.
- Sexual Extortion: Quark suggests Aluura should should read Oo-mox for Fun and Profit if she wants to keep her job.
- Ungrateful Bitch: Ishka. Barely half a season ago, Quark risked his life to rescue her from the Dominion. Now, she's gone back to chastising him.