Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 06 E 17 Wrongs Darker Than Death Or Night
Dukat contacts Kira on the anniversary of her mother's death, claiming that her mother didn't actually die on a labor camp, but instead was his lover for several years. Kira doesn't quite know what to believe, so she decides to use the Orb of Time to visit the past and find out the truth about her mother.
- Awesome Mc Coolname: The episode itself... which is rather a letdown. With such a name, you'd expect some sort of horrible atrocity to be happening, or a great betrayal of some kind (say, Vulcan joining the Dominion)... but it's about Kira going back in time to find out if Dukat slept with her mom.
- Manipulative Bastard: Dukat, whose Pet the Dog moments are just a ploy to manipulate women he's 'saving'.
- Incest Subtext: Dukat's long-term 'interest' in Kira has a disturbing aspect after the reveal that her mother was his mistress.
- Ripple Effect-Proof Memory: When Dukat first meets Kira, he should remember that a woman who looked exactly like her once saved his life from a bomb, but apparently he doesn't.
- On the other hand, how much would you remember of one person that you met for a very short period of time many, many, years ago?
- On the other, ''other'' hand, this might explain his attraction to Kira...
- Stockholm Syndrome
- Timey-Wimey Ball: The time travel in this episode appears to work quite differently than in the previous ones. Kira affects her own past, but that doesn't seem to have any ripple effects. It remains unclear whether she even physically travels back in time, or whether everything that happens is some kind Intangible Time Travel type of vision caused by the Orb. The previous time the Orb was used it worked like a regular time machine, though.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Kira is so incensed at what she finds, she takes part in a plot to kill Dukat, knowing her own mother will be killed in the explosion.
- Your Favorite: Dukat knows what kind of flowers Kira's mother liked, the first clue that he's telling the truth.