Bilby: Back home, wherever that is, do you have a family?
Bilby: Good. It's the most important thing.The annual "O'Brien Must Suffer" episode. Chief O'Brien is sent to infiltrate a branch of the Orion Syndicate, the Star Trek version of the Mafia. (No, it's never explained why an engineer and family man from a space station that's critical to the defense of the Federation is sent on a dangerous spy mission.) He presents himself as a down-on-his-luck mechanic, which gets him a job fixing technology, especially weapons, for Bilby, the local crime boss. He finds himself becoming friends with Bilby and doubting his mission, but also discovers that the Orion Syndicate is working for the Dominion. He gets pulled into a plot involving Klingon weapons, and tries to find a way to foil the plot and get himself out of harm's way, without getting Bilby killed by his bosses.
This episode contains examples of
- Arc Words: Bilby repeatedly tells O'Brien that family "is the most important thing."
- Hitman with a Heart: Bilby, through and through. He will kill a betrayer in cold blood, but he loves his family and is completely loyal to those he trusts.
- Noir Episode: With gangsters, back-stabbings, and poorly-lit alleys, this is a very unusual look and feel for Star Trek.
- Seduction-Proof Marriage: The local Orion Syndicate boss offers the undercover O'Brien a prostitute as a gesture of Sacred Hospitality. However he's satisfied with this explanation for refusal.
- Sympathy for the Devil: It's damn near impossible to not hope Bilby somehow got away in the end.