Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 06 E 10 The Magnificent Ferengi
When Quark's mother is captured and held hostage by the Dominion, he decides to prove that the Ferengi can be heroes as much as any race in Starfleet by assembling an all Ferengi team to get her back.
- Analogy Backfire: Quark brings up a battle that the Ferengi fought in as part of his Rousing Speech, and Gaila points out that the Ferengi in that battle got their asses kicked. Then again, it could be their version of the Alamo.
- Arson, Murder, and Admiration: Leck's summation of the mission:Leck: This is the sloppiest, most amateurish operation I've ever seen... If you ever do something like this again, count me in.
- Asshole Victim: Let's face it, nobody liked Keevan.
- Badass: Leck.
- Black Comedy: No other way to describe Keevan's corpse being driven around. And left to endlessly walk into the wall.
- Captain Obvious: Nog's tricorder confirms that the Vorta with a smoking hole in his heart is dead.Quark: Thank you, Doctor Nog.
- Continuity Nod: The return of both Empok Nor and Keevan.
- Did You Just Scam Cthulhu?: After Keevan got shot, Quark had to change his plans on the fly. As a result, Ishka is rescued, Starfleet gets a new Vorta prisoner and the Dominion are left empty-handed.
- Don't Call Me Sir: Played With:Leck: How do we know these schematics are accurate?
Leck: No need to stand on formalities here. Just call me Leck.
Nog: No, I meant that you should call me "sir."
Leck: Don't be ridiculous.
Nog: You mean, "Don't be ridiculous, sir."
(Quark moves to prevent an altercation)
Quark: Gentlemen, gentlemen! Let's not squabble. We're a team, Nog.
Rom: "We're a team, sir!"
Quark: Stay out of this.
- Dying Curse: "I hate Ferengi."
- I Just Shot Marvin in the Face: Poor Keevan...
- I Owe You My Life: Kira helps Quark set up the Prisoner Exchange as repayment for him rescuing her from the Dominion.
- I Work Alone: Leck.
- Laser-Guided Karma: People who have seen "Rocks And Shoals" will be pleased at seeing Keevan taken hostage, killed by complete accident, having his corpse turned into a puppet and left continuously walking into a support beam.
- Mad Scientist: Nog, when he uses neural stimulators to make Keevan's corpse move (sort of).Nog: If you think about it, medicine isn't that different from engineering. It's all about keeping things running, fixing broken parts.
- The Magnificent Seven Samurai: Well, there's only six, but...
- Unless you're counting Ferengi, in which case there are seven in this episode (counting Quark and Rom's Mom).
- Mandatory Line: Most of the main cast, except Worf (who doesn't appear) and Quark, who's the main character of the story.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!": When Gaila shoots Keevan.
- Of Corpse He's Alive: After Gaila kills their hostage.
- Oh Crap!: All the Ferengi during Keevan's escape attempt. Then Nog when he sees dozens of Jem'Hadar on the station. Then all the Ferengi again◊ when Gaila shoots Keevan.
- Palm Bloodletting: Nog does this to Ishka to prove that she's not a changeling. She is not happy about it.
- Prisoner Exchange: What Quark and his team go with when it becomes clear that they can't carry out an armed rescue.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Brunt sums it up nicely.Brunt: A childnote , a moronnote , a failurenote and a psychopathnote . Quite a little team you've put together!
- Real Life Writes the Plot: The hostage was supposed to be Zek but Wallace Shawn was unavailable so they changed it to Ishka.
- Rousing Speech: Quark starts one for the other Ferengi when it looks like all is lost. Leck joins in.
- Shoot the Hostage: Leck does this during a Virtual Training Simulation, much to Nog's annoyance.
- Skewed Priorities: Lekk is one of the few Ferengi who cares little for latinum. However, he still doesn't like to be cheated.
- Smug Snake: Brunt's in rare form, dismissing each member of Quark's team when he doesn't even currently have a job.
- So Proud of YouRom: My son the soldier.
- And Ishka is proud of her sons.
- Stating the Simple Solution: After all their rescue simulations have ended in complete disaster, Rom asks why they don't just ransom Ishka.
- The Strategist: Nog.Nog: I'm a Starfleet officer. I can't go running off with you on some half baked rescue mission. I have duties to perform.Rom: But you know how to fire a phaser.Quark: Forget it, Rom. Don't beg. Too bad, though. We were going to make you Strategic Operations Officer.Nog: (suddenly interested) You mean like Commander Worf?Quark: Exactly like Commander Worf. Think of it, Nog. You'll devise the tactics, come up with a plan of action...