Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 06 E 10 The Magnificent Ferengi
When Quark's mother is captured and held hostage by the Dominion, he decides to prove that the Ferengi can be heroes as much as any race in Starfleet by assembling an all Ferengi team to get her back.
- Analogy Backfire: Quark brings up a battle that the Ferengi fought in as part of his Rousing Speech, and Gaila points out that the Ferengi in that battle got their asses kicked. Then again, it could be their version of the Alamo.
- Arson, Murder, and Admiration: Leck's summation of the mission:
Leck: This is the sloppiest, most amateurish operation I've ever seen... If you ever do something like this again, count me in.
- Asshole Victim: Let's face it, nobody liked Keevan.
- Badass: Leck.
- Black Comedy: No other way to describe Keevan's corpse being driven around. And left to endlessly walk into the wall.
- Captain Obvious: Nog's tricorder confirms that the Vorta with a smoking hole in his heart is dead.
- Continuity Nod: The return of both Empok Nor and Keevan.
- Also, every one of the Ferengi are ones that have shown up in past episodes- no ass-pulling an original character!
- Did You Just Scam Cthulhu?: After Keevan got shot, Quarks had to change his plans. The Dominion gets nothing and Starfleet gets a new Vorta prisoner.
- Dying Curse: "I hate Ferengi."
- I Just Shot Marvin in the Face: Poor Keevan...
- I Owe You My Life: Kira helps Quark set up the Prisoner Exchange as repayment for him rescuing her from the Dominion.
- Laser-Guided Karma: People who have seen "Rocks And Shoals" will be pleased at seeing Keevan taken hostage, killed by complete accident, having his corpse turned into a puppet and left continuously walking into a support beam.
- The Magnificent Seven Samurai: Well, there's only six, but...
- Mandatory Line: Most of the main cast, except Worf (who doesn't appear) and Quark, who's the main character of the story.
- Of Corpse He's Alive: After Gaila kills their hostage.
- Oh, Crap: All the Ferengi during Keevan's escape attempt. Then Nog when he sees dozens of Jem'Hadar on the station. Then all the Ferengi again◊ when Gaila shoots Keevan.
- Prisoner Exchange: What Quark and his team go with when it becomes clear that they can't carry out an armed rescue.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Brunt sums it up nicely.
Brunt: A childnote , a moronnote , a failurenote and a psychopathnote . Quite a little team you've put together!
- Real Life Writes the Plot: The hostage was supposed to be Zek but Wallace Shawn was unavailable so they changed it to Ishka.
- Rousing Speech: Quark starts one for the other Ferengi when it looks like all is lost. Leck joins in.
- Shoot the Hostage: Leck does this during a Virtual Training Simulation, much to Nog's annoyance.
- Smug Snake: Brunt's in rare form, dismissing each member of Quark's team when he doesn't even currently have a job.
- So Proud of You
Rom: My son the soldier.
- Stating the Simple Solution: After all their rescue simulations have ended in complete disaster, Rom asks why they don't just ransom Ishka.
- The Strategist: Nog.
Nog: I'm a Starfleet officer. I can't go running off with you on some half baked rescue mission. I have duties to perform.
Rom: But you know how to fire a phaser.
Quark: Forget it, Rom. Don't beg. Too bad, though. We were going to make you Strategic Operations Officer.
Nog: (suddenly interested) You mean like Commander Worf?
Quark: Exactly like Commander Worf. Think of it, Nog. You'll devise the tactics, come up with a plan of action...