A fleet of cloaked missiles are headed for Cardassia, a desperate revenge strike by the Maquis. And only one person can help Sisko stop them. Michael Eddington.
- Alien Lunch: Sisko mixes puree of tube grubs with squid. Jake isn't happy when he finds out.
- Batman Gambit: Eddington has been making it clear that even if Sisko forced him along to deactivate the missiles, it's still Sisko's business not his, and that he rather likes the idea of dying in a Dominion war after getting a satisfactory revenge on Cardassia. A Jem'Hadar ship approaches their runabout, and all Eddington says is a pointed, "Looks like you have a problem." But Sisko takes the handcuffs off him and then goes off for a raktajino, leaving Eddington (who knows the Badlands better than Sisko) to prove his death wish isn't so strong after all.
- But that's just Foreshadowing for the big Batman Gambit: There weren't any missiles heading for Cardassia after all. At the purported "launch site" there are remnant Maquis soldiers hiding from the Jem'Hadar. Eddington wanted to rescue them, and arranged the whole "missiles" message to get Sisko's attention and help, while pretending all along it was Sisko forcing him to go!
- Bus Crash: Cal Hudson is mentioned to have died in a random skirmish sometime after his defection.
- Casual Danger Dialogue: Constant, hostile (till near the end), and rapid-fire between Sisko and Eddington.
- Fighting for a Homeland: Eddington mentions that with the Cardassians on the run, the Maquis were going to declare the DMZ an independent nation.
- I Will Only Slow You Down: Eddington says this to Sisko after being shot.
- Misapplied Phlebotinum: The Maquis, and presumably the Federation, have access to a very light material that completely blocks Dominion energy weapons. They use it to make the water barrels Eddington uses for cover in this episode, and it is never seen or referenced again.
- Never Speak Ill of the Dead: Sisko called Eddington a traitor for the last year, but after his Heroic Sacrifice, Sisko calls him "the most loyal man I've ever known."
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Eddington, as lampshaded by Sisko.Eddington: They died because I wasn't there when they needed me most. Because you put me in jail.Sisko: They died because you filled their heads with false hopes. Sold them dreams of a military victory when what they needed was a negotiated peace.Eddington: We had the Cardassians on the run.Sisko: And they ran right into the arms of the Dominion! End of story!
- Not So Different: Jadzia tells Sisko that he and Eddington may have had more in common than he thought. He doesn't exactly deny it.
- Shout-Out: When Eddington is preparing to go out in the titular Blaze of Glory, he asks if anyone can think of a good song for this situation.
- Talk to the Fist: Sisko punches Eddington for lying to him.
- Weaponized Exhaust: Eddington uses it against the Jem'Hadar.