Fed up with exploitative working conditions at Quark's Bar, Rom forms a union of Quark's employees, which is illegal according to Ferengi law.
This episode contains examples of:
- A Date with Rosie Palms:
Rom: It's not Quark's fault that I got sick. I forgot to get my bimonthly ear scan. And besides, I've probably been getting too much oo-mox.
Leeta: Really? Who's the lucky female?
Rom: [sheepishly] No female. Just me.
Leeta: [embarrassed] I'm...sorry...
Rom: [hopeful] Sorry enough to do something about it?
[Rom tilts his ear toward Leeta]
- Call Back: When Worf complains about the fact that security was lax enough to allow someone to break into his quarters and that "nothing like this ever happened on the Enterprise ", Odo says, "Oh, realllly?" and relates the plots of Next Gen episodes "Rascals" and "A Matter of Time". Judging by his the big grin on his face and the quickness of pulling up the info on a padd, Odo was just waiting for Worf to start complaining about his methods again.
- Grew a Spine: After standing up for his mom and standing up for his son, Rom finally stands up for himself by quitting Quarks and becoming a diagnostics officer for the station.
- Make an Example of Them: Inverted and lampshaded. Brunt has his Nausicaan thugs make an example of Quark for maximum impact.
Quark: But I'm on your side!
Brunt: Ironic, isn't it?
- Pose of Supplication: Frool does this to Brunt.
- Rousing Speech: Rom has two in this episode: One when he's forming the union, and one to keep them together after Brunt and the Nausicaans threaten them.