A damaged Cardassian ship limps its way to Deep Space 9. On board are three occupants. Natima Lang and her students, Rekelen and Hogue. Claiming it was damaged in an unexpected meteor storm, the threesome request repairs.On the promenade, Odo is engaged in his favorite hobby: Grilling Quark on whatever illegal nonsense he's involved in. This time he's investigating rumors that Quark is in possession of an illegal cloaking device. As the three Cardassians wander the promenade, Quark catches sight of Natima. And quickly rushed out of the bar to greet her.He gets a slap to the chops. But he doesn't care. As he says...
- Quark: This is the happiest day of my life.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Quark begs Odo to help him free Natima and her students.
- Bond One-Liner: After vaporizing Toran, Garak reflects, "Well, some people should never be promoted."
- Chekhov's Gun: Quark has a disruptor out when he's escorting Natima, et al to their ship. When Garak steps out of hiding, he takes Quark's distruptor away. When Toran steps out of hiding, he takes Garak's disruptor away, but never checks for a second gun. Garak still has Quark's disruptor, so he uses that to kill Toran.
- Heel–Face Revolving Door: Garak switches sides a couple times over the course of the episode, unless he does what he meant to do the whole time.
- How the Mighty Have Fallen: Said verbatim by Toran when he sees former master spy Garak now operating as a tailor.
- I Owe You My Life: After Garak helps them, Quark promises that every Ferengi on the station will buy from his shop.
- Kavorka Man: Natima is pretty for a Cardassian. And she loves...Quark.
- Love Makes You Crazy: In Quark's case, it makes him offer people gifts. For free.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat: The Provisional Government. Sisko and Odo are strongly against their decision to turn over Natima.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Quark continually tries to throw his money and his bar away for Natima's sake throughout the episode, saying that even though the bar would be bankrupt within a month under Rom's care, he wouldn't care if he was with her.
- Remember the New Guy?: Hey, remember the love of Quark's life that he's never, ever mentioned before?
- Sarcastic Confession: When Julian jokingly says he doesn't know if Garak is an outcast or a spy, Garak sarcastically suggests "outcast spy". This is finally confirmed later in the episode.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The Bajorans turn over Natima in exchange for captives the Cardassians are holding...even though all remaining Bajoran prisoners were supposedly released earlier this season in "Homecoming."
- Whole Plot Reference: Casablanca ... In SPACE
- You Wouldn't Shoot Me: Quark is inadvertently proven wrong when Natima accidentally stuns him. He's ultimately validated when she hangs around to make sure he's OK.