Recap / Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 01 E 04 A Man Alone
An old enemy of Odo's is murdered behind locked doors, and all the evidence points to Odo as the killer. Meanwhile, Keiko plans to start a school onboard DS 9
, to give the children living there structure, as well as something to do.
This episode provides examples of:
- Black Market: Ibudan was involved in one during the Occupation, running medical supplies to those who could pay him.
- Clones Are People Too: As Ibudan finds out, killing his own clone still counts as murder.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Rom has a very different mannerisms and voice in this episode, much more in line with standard Ferengi attitudes.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: When Odo is checking Ibudan's itinerary, you can briefly see he departed Bajor from Alderaan Spaceport.
- Friendly Enemy: An obvious example as Quark defends Odo to some bar patrons questioning his motives.
Quark: Nobody knows him like I know him. Let me tell you something, he's an ill-tempered, over-bearing crosspatch. But he was no Cardassian collaborator. And he's no killer.
Patron: I can't believe you're defending him, Quark. You're his worst enemy.
Quark: Guess that's the closest thing he has in this world to a friend.
- Just One Little Mistake: When Odo confronts "Lamonay" as he's departing the station, Odo points out that while there is a departure record for him there is no record of him arriving at the station on any ship in the past 3 weeks.
- Latex Perfection: Ibudan's disguise.
- Locked Room Mystery: Ibudan entered the holosuite and locked the door. The door only opened when the killer left, and there is no evidence of anyone else being in the room.
- Not Helping Your Case: Sisko tells Odo he doesn't believe that Odo is a killer. Odo angrily points out that Sisko doesn't know him, and that if he really wanted Ibudan dead he would have killed him.
- Shaming the Mob: Once Sisko has the mob's attention, he condemns them for their treatment of Odo just because he is different and says that they will regret their actions here.
- Shut Up Gunshot: A mob gathers outside Odo's office after the changeling is implicated in a murder, which quickly turns into an all-out brawl against station security. Sisko fires his phaser into the air a couple times to get their attention.