Recap / Spongebob Squarepants S 8 E 173 Squiditis Demolition Doofus
Squidward fakes being sick so he can skip work and relax at home.
Squiditis contains examples of:
- Playing Sick: What Squidward does.
- Sick Episode: Deals with Spongebob thinking he caught Squidward's "Squid's Disease".
- Spit Take: Squidward does one when he finds out that SpongeBob is sent home because he really is sick.
After SpongeBob injures Mrs. Puff to the point of being unable to puff again, she enrols him in a demolition derby in the hopes of getting him killed.
Demolition Doofus contains examples of:
- Berserk Button: Mrs. Puff loses it when SpongeBob made an insensitive comment about her inflation sac being popped and lashes out at him until the doctor injects a needle to calm her down.
- Darker and Edgier: While still funny in some ways, Mrs. Puff tries to make good on her vow to kill SpongeBob.
- Evil Cripple: Never being able to puff again + wanting Spongebob dead = this.
- Gray and Gray Morality: While SpongeBob injuring Mrs. Puff was an accident, he shows no remorse for injuring her and goes so far as to crack jokes about her condition. On the other end, Mrs. Puff is hardly any better, since she enters him in the demolition derby specifically hoping he'll be killed, and takes matters into her own hands and tries to kill him herself when that fails.
- Imagine Spot: Mrs. Puff imagines SpongeBob getting smashed from all sides by thugs in cars and replaced with a gravestone.
- Innocently Insensitive: SpongeBob meant well, but he just made things worse.
- Jerkass Ball: Happens to both SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff themselves. On one hand, Puff tries to murder SpongeBob. On the other hand, SpongeBob also cracks jokes about Mrs. Puff's condition and shows no remorse for injuring her.
- Karma Houdini: Despite being arrested in other episodes, Mrs. Puff doesn't get arrested here, despite her trying to murder SpongeBob.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Both SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff get their due when the Boating School collapses on them.
- Never Say "Die": Mrs. Puff's idea is obviously to murder and kill SpongeBob (as shown in her vision), but she never says such throughout the episode.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: As the derby progresses, Mrs. Puff's idea to get SpongeBob murdered by the drivers goes downhill, as his bad driving causes the other drivers to crash instead.
- Nominal Hero: SpongeBob.
- Poor Communication Kills / Lame Rhyme Dodge: "Why are you still... ALIVE!?" "Put it in drive?"
- Status Quo Is God: Mrs. Puff gets her inflation back at the end.
- Temporarily a Villain: Mrs. Puff.
- Throwing Off the Disability: Mrs. Puff, who was thought to never puff again, magically regains her puff.
- The Unapologetic: SpongeBob doesn't show any remorse for injuring Mrs. Puff.
- Unknown Rival: Throughout the entire episode, SpongeBob literally has no idea Mrs. Puff was trying to kill him.
- Why Won't You Die?: "Why are you still... ALIVE!?" "Put it in drive?"