Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful contains examples of (YMMV goes here.):
- Butt Monkey: As per usual, Squidward.
- Conspicuous CG: The street Squidward is strutting down at the beginning.
- Felony Misdemeanor: A lot of situations that result in Squidward getting ticketed.
- Jerkass: The police officer who kept on giving Squidward tickets. While it is his job to enforce the law, does he have to have an attitude about it?
- Running Gag: Squidward getting ticketed.
Airdate: January 2, 2010The episode starts with Spongebob feeding Gary. He accidentally drops the food and chaos comes. Then, Spongebob goes to work. Gary tries to come with him but Spongebob can't bring pets to work and leaves Gary. Gary then turns on the TV and watches a cowboy show. At the Krusty Krab, a customer comes in with his pet worm. Spongebob explains that people can't bring their pets. The man is just about to leave when Mr. Krabs arrives and tells him to buy Krabby Patties. He says to the man that he is a responsible pet owner.Then, Spongebob feels that Gary is lonely after what Mr Krabs says, and buys another pet. He spots a stand with ridiculously cute nudibranchs. Spongebob sees a cute green one with purple eyes, huge pink lips and blue fins He says he wants that one, however the old peddler woman who owns them tells him that the nudibranchs are violent and dangerous, especially around other animals. Naturally Spongebob ignores her and takes it home anyway while lady says to herself that the people never listen. When he gets home Gary is watching TV. Spongebob gets in front of the screen to show Gary his new friend, then leaves to make enchiladas. While in the kitchen, Gary is chewing his toy in front of Puffy. Puffy then growls and scares Gary to go behind the couch while Puffy chews his toy apart. Puffy, about to bite Gary, sees that Spongebob is coming back and turns himself back to a nice Nudibranch. Spongebob gets Gary's bowl and makes a slash on it with marker. On the other side of the slash, he writes "Puffy Fluffy". Gary starts to eat when Puffy Fluffy Growls at him again. Then Puffy eat every single piece of food in the bowl. Spongebob sees that Gary is hiding from Puffy again. Gary then jumps on Spongebob while Puffy looks like he has absolutely no idea why Gary's on Spongebob. Spongebob tells Gary he is going to sleep with Puffy Fluffy tonight. When he puts Gary in the bed, he hisses at Puffy. During the night Gary wakes up and sees Puffy's skin on the bed. He walks in the kitchen to see a huge eel eating in the refrigerator. The eel is revealed to be Puffy Fluffy! He seems to now have five tongues with a mouth on each.The next morning, Spongebob wakes up and he sees a mess in his library. Cut to Puffy attacking Gary. Spongebob then bangs the door open. Gary is relieved when Spongebob enters the kitchen, only to be shocked when instead of helping him, his owner starts berating him for how he's still treating Puffy, even when the eel is clearly about to eat him. Puffy uses its tongues and grabs onto Spongebob, who's still berating his snail even as he's about to be eaten. It's up to Gary to save his master. Using a leash he whips at Puffy, driving it from the Pineapple home. Spongebob chases after the beast crying for it not to go, then turning and admonishing Gary for chasing Puffy away, to which he gets an ruthless glare. Spongebob brings Gary to work the next day so he's not lonely, where Mr. Krabs puts Gary to work waiting on tables.
A Pal For Gary contains examples of (YMMV goes here.):
- All There in the Manual: Puffy Fluffy is a nudibranch, which isn't referred to throughout the episode but confirmed by sources.
- Aside Comment: The peddler after Spongebob leaves with Puffy Fluffy:Why bother? They never listen. Ugh...
- Aside Glance: Gary gives a very annoyed one to the camera after being scolded one last time for chasing Puffy Fluffy away. He gives another one after Spongebob brings him to work with him.
- Captain Oblivious: Spongebob is completely oblivious to the fact that the monster is Puffy Fluffy at first. Even after he realizes Puffy Fluffy is the monster, he's still oblivious to the fact that it tried to eat him.
- Characterization Marches On: During the beginning of the episode, Spongebob acts rather nicely and is genuinely concerned about Gary, wanting him to have the companion and feel happy. But it all goes downhill when Puffy Fluffy appears.
- A Day in the Limelight: This is definitely Gary's episode, with Spongebob acting as a Hero Antagonist.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The scene where Spongebob is in Puffy Fluffy's mouth. Many people half-jokingly compare it to tentacle porn as the extra mouths probe Spongebob's mouth in an attempt to eat him.
- Dramatic Irony: Spongebob is oblivious to Puffy Fluffy's evil side, yet the audience knows.
- Exact Words: The puffy fish that the peddler is selling, especially Puffy Fluffy, are very dangerous around other pets. Puffy Fluffy proves exactly that, but Spongebob remains painfully oblivious it.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Spongebob assumes Gary is this after believing he caused the damage to his library.
- Irony: Despite Spongebob taking about eleven levels in Jerkassitude, Mr. Krabs seems oddly kinder than usual, compared to his depictions in later seasons.
- Karma Houdini: Spongebob suffers no consequences for treating Gary poorly.
- Made Out To Be A Jerk Ass: Gary saves Spongebob from Puffy Fluffy, only to get scolded again.
- Never My Fault: Spongebob blames Gary like it's the snail's fault for disturbing Puffy Fluffy, even though it's obvious to him that the pet is dangerous.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Spongebob, who's usually nice and listens to others, even Gary (he even speaks snail), somehow refuses to believe what Gary is telling him, even punishing him for being rude to Puffy Fluffy when it's really the other way around.
- Retcon: Spongebob can speak snail, yet he doesn't believe Gary's thoughts against Puffy Fluffy.
- Shout-Out: Spongebob has a collection of books by T.S. Halibut, which is a parody of T.S. Eliot.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: In the first half, Spongebob genuinely thinks Gary is lonely and he decided to buy a new pet for Gary. In the latter half of the episode, he only cares about Puffy Fluffy and constantly scolds Gary, even though Gary is trying to save him. He acts like that until near the end of the episode where he brings Gary to the Krusty Krab.
- Troublemaking New Pet: Puffy Fluffy.
- Ungrateful Bastard: After Gary chases Puffy Fluffy off, Spongebob gets angry and scolds Gary for chasing it off even though Puffy Fluffy was trying to eat him. Yeah, what a great way to thank your own pet who just saved your life.
- Whole Plot Reference: To the horror/comedy Gremlins - an adorable creature turns into a vicious bone-crushing monster overnight, and has a warning shortly before being taken home. Only here the buyer blatantly ignores the warning.