Recap: Spongebob Squarepants S 3 E 14 The Great Snail Race Mid Life Crustacean
The Great Snail Race: When Squidward buys a pedigreed racing snail named Snelly, SpongeBob decides to enter Gary in the race.Mid Life Crustacean: Mr. Krabs is starting to show his age, so he decides to hang out with some hip young people to feel young again. Unfortunately, he picks SpongeBob and Patrick.
"The Great Snail Race" provides examples of...
- Accidental Misnaming: "It's Tennisballs! I mean Tentacles!"
- Brick Joke: "That's for yesterday, SquarePants!"
- Companion Cube: Patrick's "snail" Rocky.Squidward: Patrick, that's a rock.
Patrick: Yeah, thanks, I know. He's got nerves of steel.
- Dark Horse Victory: With Gary out of the race and Snelly forfeiting to be by his side, the real winner of the race is... Patrick's rock Rocky, which somehow got to the finish line.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: SpongeBob as Gary's racing coach.
- Everybody Laughs Ending: Played straight... then subverted.
- Heroic RROD: Gary (literally) breaks down mid race.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Patrick, the only sportsmanlike competitor of the three (and one shown to take very kind care of his "snail", Rocky) inexplicably wins the race.
- Malicious Misnaming: SpongeBob calls Gary girl names, explaining that it's a motivational tactic.
- My God, What Have I Done?: SpongeBob, after his mistreatment leads Gary to have a Heroic RROD.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: After SpongeBob's Malicious Misnaming, Sandy, who is apparently miles away, suddenly feels like kicking his butt tomorrow. (See Brick Joke for the result.)
- Running Gag: Squidward's last name keeps getting misspelled.
"Mid Life Crustacean" provides examples of...
- Dinner Deformation: When Krabs has to take his morning pill, which is twice as wide as his whole head.
- Helping Granny Cross the Street: A boy scout walks Mr. Krabs by the hand, with him resenting the implication that he's old.
- Incredibly Lame Fun: SpongeBob and Patrick's "night of debauchery" includes such activities as doing laundry, picking up trash at the highway, sitting on a kiddie pool, attending a Renaissance fair, and going to a Suck E. Cheese's.
- It's Pronounced Tro-PAY: Krabs tries to pronounce "coral" as "corrahl" to make it sound cooler.
- No Indoor Voice: Spongebob and Patrick, who scream in excitement about their big night out when they're mere feet away from one another... with Squidward right between them!
- Overly Long Gag: Spongebob, Patrick and Mr. Krabs shouting "Are you/I'm ready to party!" to one another.
- Panty Thieves: SpongeBob and Patrick take Mr. Krabs on a "panty raid". Unfortunately, the house they raid belongs to Krab's mother.
- Right on Queue: Mr. Krabs sees a long line of senior citizens leading to the cemetery. After running away screaming "I ain't old!", we see that the line is actually for an ice-cream cart next to the cemetery.
- Totally Radical: Pearl explains to Krabs that kids don't say cool anymore, they say coral instead. She becomes appalled when her father adopts it and calls her friends to say that "Coral is definitely out."
- You Are Grounded: Mr. Krabs is grounded by his mother for sneaking into her laundry. But in Krabs' words, it made him feel younger.