Recap / Spongebob Squarepants S 1 E 5 Pizza Delivery Home Sweet Pineapple
: A special task has been assigned to SpongeBob and Squidward: Deliver the very first Krusty Krab Pizza. However, there's a slight problem. Squidward made SpongeBob drive, causing the two to end up in the middle of nowhere and run out of gas. Now it's up to SpongeBob and his knowledge on how the pioneers survived to figure out how to get back to shelter and find something to eat before Squidward eats the pizza."Home Sweet Pineapple"
: After a swarm of nematodes devours Sponge Bob's house, he and Gary are left with nothing but a pebble (which is actually a seed
). Without a place to stay, SpongeBob tries building a house and living with Patrick and Squidward (none of those attempts work out). before giving up hope to live in the neighborhood, and sees no other option than to leave and move back in with his parents.
The YMMV examples for these episodes can be found here.
"Pizza Delivery" provides examples of:
- Anti-Advice: SpongeBob claims to know which way town is from which side moss grows on rocks. Squidward then says "You want us to go that way? Well, then I'm going this way." Naturally, town was where SpongeBob wanted to go.
- Bilingual Bonus: When SpongeBob is looking at the gears on his boat mobile, they change into Korean symbols, which are actually the correct ones. Of course, SpongeBob doesn't know that.
- Break the Cutie: Happens to SpongeBob after the customer harshly berates him for forgetting his drink. Cue to Squidward standing up for him throwing the pizza at said customer's face.
- Determinator: SpongeBob when he insists that the pizza be delivered to the customer, no matter what. This is what makes the customer's line "Didn't you ever once think of the customer??" especially harsh.
- Diving Save: Squidward does this to save Spongebob from a boat that was about to run him over. Both survive but are covered in sand.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Squidward seems a bit out of character from the Butt Monkey and Jerkass we see him as in later seasons. He seems more of a level-headed comic foil than usual.
- Improvised Parachute: The pizza after Spongebob and Squidward are thrown out of a tornado.
- In the Style of...: SpongeBob makes up several renditions of his Krusty Krab Pizza song, including beatboxing and a killer Joe Cocker impersonation.
- It Can't Get Any Worse: Squidward asks this when the boat runs out of gas in the middle of nowhere. And right after saying it, he kicks the boat and it drives off without them.
- Jerkass: The customer.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Squidward.
- Kick the Dog: As if getting chewed out for forgetting a drink (which was never even ordered until after Mr. Krabs hung up the phone at least) was bad enough, the customer makes it worse by asking "Didn't you ever once think of the customer?" Owtch!
- Madness Mantra: "Backing up!"..."Backing up!"..."Backing up!"
- Mock Meal: The Krusty Krab pizza is just some Krabby Patties crushed to look like a pizza.
- Not So Remote: Had Squidward heeded SpongeBob's advice and gone where the moss was facing, he would have found Bikini Bottom right over the ridge.
- Ow, My Body Part!: Squidward twice.
- The first time is when SpongeBob is singing while they're walking in the desert and Squidward adds the line "and my feet are killing me!"
- The second is at the very end of the episode after The Reveal that the customer was right next door to the Krusty Krab. After the blackout, Squidward whines "Oh, my aching tentacles!"
- Pet the Dog: Squidward not only throws a pizza in the customer's face after he made Spongebob cry, he saves Spongebob from getting run over.
- Pizza In The Face
- Poor Communication Kills: Courtesy of the money-hungry Mr. Krabs. If deciding to pair Spongebob with Squidward to deliver the pizza when Squidward suggested that SpongeBob deliver himself wasn't enough, he hangs up the phone just as the customer was about to order his drink, setting up the events at the end of the episode .
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: "This one's ON THE HOUSE!!" (Slams pizza in the guy's face)
- Road Trip Across the Street: After delivering the pizza, Squidward asks SpongeBob to drive him home, but SpongeBob tells him they have enough time to go back to work because the customer was just down the street from the Krusty Krab all along.
- Shaggy Dog Story: SpongeBob and Squidward didn't have to get lost because the customer lived right next door to the Krusty Krab.
- Spoiled Brat: Take a wild guess, troper.
- Unsatisfiable Customer: The customer who orders the pizza rejects it because it did not come with soda, even though it wasn't in the order.
- Unstoppable Mailman: Neither fast sea currents nor searing heat nor a very hungry Squidward will stop SpongeBob from getting the pizza to the customer.
- Vehicular Assault
- The truck driver SpongeBob tries to flag down with a pioneer hitchhiking dance instead tries to run him over because he thought he was a "thrashin', frashin' breakdancer!"
- Done to Squidward by SpongeBob when he accidentally drives over him with the rock.
- Wham Line: "Where's my drink?"
"Home Sweet Pineapple" provides examples of:
- Blanket Tug O' War: Between SpongeBob and Patrick. Only instead of a blanket, it's Patrick's rock.
- Delayed Reaction: Doubles as an Overly Long Gag; a half-asleep Squidward not realizing that Spongebob just came into his house. See also Late to the Realization below.
- Depth Deception: The house SpongeBob and Patrick build looks normal-sized, until they step forward and loom over it.
- Gag Echo: Squidward gets a call from SpongeBob and answers "Is it time for you to ruin my day?" Moments later, Patrick wakes up and asks "Is it time to ruin Squid's day?"
- Gross-Up Close-Up: Of the enormous pool of saliva in Patrick's mouth as he sleeps.
- Happy Dance: Done by Squidward when he sees SpongeBob finally leaving.
- Impact Silhouette: Squidward's impression is left on the floor of SpongeBob's house after it reforms on top of him.
- Karma Houdini: The "darned Nematodes" don't get their comeauppace for almost rendering SpongeBob homeless.
- Late to the Realization: Patrick only realizes that SpongeBob's house is gone a while after he arrived and SpongeBob himself had said it was gone.
- Noodle Implement: "Ruining Squid's day" apparently required Patrick to dress up in a tux and top hat.
- Seldom-Seen Species: Nematodes aren't that common in cartoons.
- The Swarm: The nematodes who devour Spongebob's house.
- Swiss Army Tears: SpongeBob's tears restore his house back to normal.
- Toon Physics: SpongeBob manages to stay in the air by hammering boards one by one to the chagrin of Patrick.