Recap: Spongebob Squarepants S 1 E 3 Jellyfishing Plankton
Airdate: July 31, 1999
Squidward just wants to get away from SpongeBob and Patrick for one day, but a jellyfish accident seems to render him helpless in a wheelchair/body cast. Then SpongeBob and Patrick try to help him have his best day ever, but nothing seems to work; not even soup or music can help! So they have one option left: jellyfishing! So SpongeBob and Patrick try to help Squidward learn how to jellyfish...but is he up to it?
Jellyfishing provide examples of:
- Lock and Load Montage: SpongeBob and Patrick getting ready to go jellyfishing.
- Made of Explodium: Squidward's paddlebike.
- Mama Bear: The giant jellyfish that attacks Squidward after he harasses a regular jellyfish.
- Overly Long Gag: Squidward laughing during his bike ride. Reaches its apex when the jellyfish heading for him goes into his mouth.
- Sarcasm-Blind: SpongeBob doesn't see that Squidward is being sarcastic when he says jellyfishing with him would be the "best day ever in my book." He takes Squidward at his word, much to Squidward's dismay.
- Short-Distance Phone Call: SpongeBob and Patrick are talking over the phone in what appears to be a Split-Screen Phone Call. At the end they are shown standing back to back on the same room.
- To the Batpole!: SpongeBob and Patrick slide down a rope to get to their jellyfishing supplies. It gives them terrible Friction Burn.
Airdate: July 31, 1999
Another day at the Krusty Krab, and...a Krabby Patty sails for the door! But Mr. Krabs reveals the real patty-napper: Plankton, his archenemy. He wants the formula for the Krabby Patty and will stop at nothing to get it - and plots to have SpongeBob "hand deliver it to me personally!"
Plankton! provide examples of:
- Continuity Nod: The targeted pants from the pilot makes an appearance.
- Excited Episode Title!
- Food Porn: Spongebob's lengthy description of the Krabby Patty as he's about to drop it into the analyzer is so tantalizing that Plankton jumps out of his head just to get a bite of it himself.
- Grand Theft Me: Plankton takes control of SpongeBob to steal the Krabby Patty formula.
- Hammerspace: Plankton pulls a record player out of nowhere and a full-scale spatula from behind his back. ("I've been keeping it in my secret compartment")
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Just as Plankton is about to drop the Krabby Patty into his analyzer, he finds himself unable to resist taking a bite, especially after SpongeBob described how scrumptious it is. So he jumps at it... and falls into his own analyzer.
- Left the Background Music On: Plankton plays his own Musical Sting on his record player. One time he puts the record on the wrong side and it plays a nursery song.
- Manipulative Bastard: Plankton.
- Mean Boss: Mr. Krabs shows an instance of this for the first time by yelling at SpongeBob to stop laughing and get back to work.
- Medium Shift Gag:
Plankton: This is my lab. [live-action footage of a Labrador Retriever] ...and this is my laboratory!
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: "Sheen! Sparkle, sparkle."
- Smug Snake: Plankton, as revealed when he falls into the analyzer.
Karen: Plankton: 1% evil, 99% hot gas.