Jellyfishing provide examples of:
- Dumbass Has a Point: Patrick muses that Squidward probably does not like them when he never wants to hang out with them. SpongeBob, oblivious as usual however quickly blows off that notion.
- Exit, Pursued by a Bear: In a rare case of SpongeBob and Patrick not pulling an Idiot Houdini, Squidward lets loose the jellyfish he caught earlier on them, stinging them as they run off into the distance.
- Lock and Load Montage: SpongeBob and Patrick getting ready to go jellyfishing.
- Made of Explodium: Squidward's paddlebike.
- Mama Bear: The giant jellyfish that attacks Squidward after he harasses a regular jellyfish.
- Overly Long Gag:
- Squidward laughing during his bike ride. Reaches its apex when the jellyfish heading for him goes into his mouth.
- Spongebob wetting his lips trying to play Squidward's clarinet until his mouth is heavily coated with saliva. Thankfully, Patrick stops him before he can play.
- Sarcasm-Blind: SpongeBob doesn't see that Squidward is being sarcastic when he says jellyfishing with him would be the "best day ever in my book." He takes Squidward at his word, much to Squidward's dismay.
- Short-Distance Phone Call: SpongeBob and Patrick are talking over the phone in what appears to be a Split-Screen Phone Call. At the end they are shown standing back to back on the same room.
- Tempting Fate: Spongebob and Patrick giving Squidward the Jellyfish from yesterday as a get-well present.Spongebob: You're not still mad, are you?
(Squidward opens jar in Spongebob and Patrick's direction)
Patrick: Yep, he's still mad.
- To the Batpole!: SpongeBob and Patrick slide down a rope to get to their jellyfishing supplies. It gives them terrible Friction Burn.
Airdate: July 31, 1999Another day at the Krusty Krab, and...a Krabby Patty sails for the door! But Mr. Krabs reveals the real patty-napper: Plankton, his archenemy. He wants the formula for the Krabby Patty and will stop at nothing to get it - and plots to have SpongeBob "hand deliver it to me personally!"
Plankton! provide examples of:
- Big "NO!": Plankton at the end when he begs SpongeBob to bring back the Krabby Patty.Plankton: SpongeBob, that's my Krabby Patty! Give it back, you porous freak! I command you! My patty! NOOOOO! I'll settle for some fries!
- Brain with a Manual Control: Plankton plugs a portable control module onto SpongeBob's brain to control him.
- Continuity Nod: The targeted pants from the pilot makes an appearance.
- Early Installment Weirdness: This is the debut of Plankton, and by extension, the Chum Bucket. However, there was only one room in the Chum Bucket that was shown in this episode only, and that room was the "lab". Justified, as that was just a joke.
- SpongeBob's trademark laugh also sounds...really off (lower pitched and more monotone) compared to later on. According to Tom Kenny, this was him still trying to figure out just how annoying he could make the laugh before it got unpleasant.
- This is also Karen's debut, but in this episode she merely serves the role of being a voice for the readouts of Plankton's analyzer, a far cry from the sentient computer cohort she becomes in later episodes.
- Establishing Character Moment: The entire episode is one for Plankton, but his first lines reveal his dream of getting a Krabby Patty and running Mr. Krabs out of business... and proclaiming that he went to college, showing his immense ego and obsession with having his accomplishments recognized.
- Excited Episode Title!
- Flair Bartending: SpongeBob prepares a Krabby Patty by throwing the ingredients in the air, catching them with his pores, taking off his head and shaking it, and finally pulling it from under Squidward's nose.
- Food Porn: Spongebob's lengthy description of the Krabby Patty as he's about to drop it into the analyzer is so tantalizing that Plankton jumps out of his head just to get a bite of it himself.
- Forbidden Friendship: It's very clear that Mr. Krabs does NOT want Spongebob and Plankton to become friends.
- Grand Theft Me: Plankton takes control of SpongeBob to steal the Krabby Patty formula.
- Hammerspace: Plankton pulls a record player from Behind the Black and a full-scale spatula from behind his back. ("I've been keeping it in my secret compartment")
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Just as Plankton is about to drop the Krabby Patty into his analyzer, he finds himself unable to resist taking a bite, especially after SpongeBob described how scrumptious it is. So he jumps at it... and falls into his own analyzer.
- Left the Background Music On: Plankton plays his own Musical Sting on his record player. One time he puts the record on the wrong side and it plays a nursery song.
- Manipulative Bastard: Plankton.
- Mean Boss: Mr. Krabs shows an instance of this for the first time by yelling at SpongeBob to stop laughing and get back to work.
- Medium-Shift Gag:Plankton: This is my lab. [live-action footage of a Labrador Retriever] ...and this is my laboratory!
- Off Model: Plankton briefly gains a butt crack in one shot.
- Papa Wolf: Mr. Krabs has shades of this when it comes to his (rightful) suspicions of Plankton.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: "Sheen! Sparkle, sparkle."
- Smarter Than You Look: SpongeBob is loyal to the Krusty Krab, and it's legacy. Never giving up any secrets of the Krabby Patty.
- Smug Snake: Plankton, as revealed when he falls into the analyzer.Karen: Plankton: 1% evil, 99% hot gas.