Recap / Spongebob Squarepants S 1 E 19 Fools In April/Neptune's Spatula
Airdate: April 1, 2000April Fools' Day
is SpongeBob's favorite holiday - and Squidward's worst nightmare! But when Squidward tries to turn the tables on SpongeBob and plays a trick on him, it all goes horribly wrong.
Fools in April contains examples of:
Airdate: April 1, 2000
- Actually Pretty Funny: The customer SpongeBob pranks gets upset when he thinks SpongeBob did something with his drink. When SpongeBob tells him he just put one ice cube instead of two, the customer is relieved and admits it was pretty funny.
- Animate Body Parts: SpongeBob's tongue detaches from his body and starts laughing with him. SpongeBob even pranks it.
- An Aesop: Doing something nasty to someone for your own amusement is not the same as pulling a prank.
SpongeBob has pulled King Neptune's legendary spatula from a bucket of grease, and now Neptune has come to claim him as his royal fry cook, but SpongeBob must first prove himself in an epic cook-off against Neptune himself.
- Absentee Cashier: Squidward does not appear in this episode as SpongeBob is running the cash register at the end.
- Cooking Duel: Between SpongeBob and Neptune. Neptune uses magic to make thousands of Krabby Patties, while SpongeBob only manages to make one by hand. That one patty, however, tastes far better than the ones Neptune made, and SpongeBob wins.
- Creator Cameo: Tom Kenny plays the live action guy in the shower that Neptune unwittingly shows as a reward.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: Patrick does this to Neptune, and is blasted repeatedly until he's a smear on the ground.
- Graceful Loser: For all his Jerkass traits, Neptune immediately concedes that Spongebob is the winner with no fuss after trying his patty.
- Hypocritical Humor: Mr. Krabs assures SpongeBob that he has the utmost confidence that he'll win. Then he rushes to the betting window to put all his money on Neptune to win.
- Jerkass God: King Neptune.
- Medium-Shift Gag: In one closeup, Neptune's fist around Spongebob's body changes from a drawing to a photo of a live-action fist digitally colored green.
- Misplaced Sorrow: After SpongeBob wins and has to go live with Neptune, Mr. Krabs is crying not because SpongeBob is leaving but because he lost all his money betting against him.
- Not Quite Back to Normal: After blasting Patrick to dust, Neptune returns him to normal... except his face is on his butt.
- Only the Chosen May Wield: Only a fry cook worthy of Neptune can pull his spatula from the dried grease. Guess who.
- The Power of Love: How Spongebob is able to win the duel: while Neptune uses his powers to simultaneously cook and assemble 1,000 burgers, they taste terrible; SpongeBob only makes one, but because he put his heart and soul into it to make it perfect, Neptune forfeits. This also doubles as a case of Quality over Quantity.
- It could also be because he used swordfish to slice the lettuce, onions, and tomatoes, leading to a fishy aftertaste.
- Vocal Dissonance: The old lady at the beginning.
- Wowing Cthulhu: Neptune is so overwhelmed at how good SpongeBob's Krabby Patty is that he concedes the contest.