Recap: Spongebob Squarepants S 1 E 16 Valentines Day The Paper
Valentine's DaySpongebob and Sandy have prepared a special Valentine's Day present for Patrick. But there's a bit of a delay in getting it to arrive. Will Spongebob be able to hold out on an increasingly impatient best friend?
Valentine's Day contains examples of:
- Ax-Crazy: Patrick eventually becomes this until he sees the chocolate air balloon.
- Balloon-Bursting Bird: Scallops (who are the equivalent of birds in Bikini Bottom) try to eat the chocolate balloon as Sandy gets it to the fair.
- Fluffy Tamer: Sandy harnesses the scallops to get the balloon back on course.
- Medium Shift Gag: One of the things Patrick thinks is his gift is a live-action paramecium he sees under a microscope.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Patrick gets mad after not getting his gift and thrashes the carnival.Heart on stick... MUST DIE!
- Unstoppable Rage: Subverted in that the first Heart-On-Stick is a huge steel tower which Patrick fails to destroy. He then sees a little girl with a heart-shaped lollipop, and breaks that.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Horrific?: While Patrick's rampage is frightening, it only takes an announcement that "there's a chubby, pink starfish on the loose" to get the people in a panic.
The Paper contains examples of:
- Downer Ending: For Squidward, who ended up selling everything he had for the paper, only to not be able to have fun with it like SpongeBob did, and then losing it to Patrick, who uses it to throw away his gum.
- Incredibly Lame Fun: SpongeBob can't believe Squidward would throw away a small scrap of paper when he could use it for so many things. It gets subverted when SpongeBob actually does find fun ways of using the paper. So many in fact that Squidward gets jealous and tries to buy the paper back.
- No Matter How Much I Beg: Trope Namer. Tired of SpongeBob trying to return the paper, he tells him that "no matter how much I beg, and plead, and cry, don't give that paper to me back, ever!." Naturally, when Squidward wants the paper, SpongeBob holds him to his word.