Recap / Spongebob Squarepants S 1 E 14 SB 129 Karate Choppers
Airdate: December 31, 1999
While trying to avoid SpongeBob and Patrick, Squidward accidentally locks himself in the Krusty Krab's walk-in freezer, only to be unthawed in the distant future. This leads to him using a time machine to try to get back to his own time.
SB-129 contains examples of:
Airdate: December 31, 1999
- Amusing Injuries: SpongeTron, one of Spongebob's many futuristic descendants and exact genetic replicas tells Squidward that the Time Machine he needs to use is "Down the hall on the left." Squidward rushes into it, we hear a can opener and Squidward walks out cut to shreds with his body making a funny springing sound. SpongeBob apologizes and tells Squidward to try the room on the right.
- Ascetic Aesthetic: Everything in the future is chrome. When a flower pops up on the ground, someone comes and spray paints it chrome.
- Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them: Squidward realizes this in the end.
- Go Mad from the Isolation: At first Squidward is relieved to be alone in the White Void Room. Not long after that he desperately wants to get back.
- Human Popsicle: Squidward after being in the freezer for thousands of years.
- Locked in a Freezer: How Squidward ends up in the future.
- Multiple Head Case: Future Patrick has two heads.
- Painting the Fourth Wall: SB-129 is actually the production code for the episode. It's the twenty-ninth (individual) episode of season one of SpongeBob.
- Retcon: When this episode first aired, it was called "SpongeBob 3000", even though Squidward never winds up in that year. The episode's current name was first given in reruns.
- Time Travel Episode
- Too Dumb to Live: The SpongeBob and Patrick from the past repeatedly attempt to play catch with a jellyfish, barehanded; Squidward intervenes to teach them how to jellyfish mostly because their agonized screams are disrupting his clarinet-playing. You COULD make the excuse that they were cavefish with un-evolved brains, so they don't know if it's wrong or right.
- Troubled Fetal Position: Squidward after realizing he's stuck in the future with SpongeTron.
- White Void Room: Where Squidward ends up after the time machine breaks down.
SpongeBob loves practicing his karate with Sandy, but when Mr. Krabs forbids him from doing karate, he finds himself unable to resist.
Karate Choppers contains examples of:
- Berserker Tears: Spongebob after getting fired.
- Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce: Sandy threatens SpongeBob with a bottle of hot sauce, which she later downs like water.
Hot Sauce Drop: By the powers of naughtiness, I command this particular drop of hot sauce to be really, really hot!
- Break the Cutie: Spongebob does not handle getting fired with dignity.
- Cold Turkeys Are Everywhere: SpongeBob was warned by Mr. Krabs not to do karate, but couldn't resist. As Mr. Krabs finds out in the end, just when SpongeBob thought he was going to fire him for real, Mr. Krabs decides that he can do karate with the Krabby Patties.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: The hot sauce.
- Evil Laugh: The drop of hot sauce has one, resemblant of that of Master Hand.
- Friendly Rivalry: SpongeBob and Sandy in their Karate sparring.
- Hates Everyone Equally: Squidward admits this in the end.
Squidward: I hate all of you.
- Its Pronounced Tropay:
SpongeBob: I'm practicing my karate, or ka-ra-tay, as some call it.
Mr. Krabs: Ka-ra-tay? You should be making money-ay, with your spatu-lay.
- Jerkass Ball: While it was fair of him to warn SpongeBob to stop doing karate in the Krusty Krab, when Mr. Krabs sees SpongeBob outside with Sandy who is attacking him karate-style, Mr. Krabs thinks that SpongeBob didn't take his warning and fires him, sending him into tears. After Sandy explains that it wasn't SpongeBob's fault, Mr. Krabs sternly tells SpongeBob he'll give him a "second chance", still believing that he was playing karate even though Sandy explained everything to him.
- Medium Shift Gag: The hot sauce drop has a superimposed live-action face (Tom Kenny) declaring it to be "really, really hot!"
- Negative Continuity: Sandy is never seen working at the Krusty Krab after this episode.
- Reaching Between the Lines: SpongeBob tries to karate chop Sandy through the phone lines, but she ducks and redirects his hand back through the receiver so he karate chops himself.