As Seen on TV contains examples of (YMMV here):
- Acquired Situational Narcissism: Being in a commercial goes to SpongeBob's head, even though he barely appears in it at all.
- Bad "Bad Acting": Squidward and Pearl appearing in the commercial.
- Break the Haughty: Happens to SpongeBob when he slips and falls and the patties flip in the air which made him think that his "career" is over. That is until a patty lands on the grill which prompts him to continue "entertaining" the customers.
- Comically Missing the Point: SpongeBob when being in a commercial gets into his head. In the ending, he never snaps out of it.Mr. Krabs: Well, SpongeBob, looks like you've finally found your calling.
SpongeBob: I'll say. I'm so glad I gave up fry cooking for this.
- Kitschy Local Commercial: Mr. Krabs' ad for the Krusty Krab, done on No Budget and with Bad "Bad Acting".
- Mistaken Identity: While walking to work the morning after the commercial airs, SpongeBob appears to be recognized by an old man, which inflates his ego further. In reality, the old man had mistaken SpongeBob for a box of cereal he saw on another ad.
- Prima Donna Director: Squidward spends way too much on the Krusty Krab commercial.
Airdate: March 8, 2002Mr. Krabs' first dime goes missing, and his first suspect is his cashier, Squidward. Outraged at his boss's first instinct to point fingers at him, Squidward quits and storms out of the building. After some time, SpongeBob finds him on the side of the road, living in a cardboard box. Being the gracious person he is, he decides to take him in, only for Squidward to take advantage of his hospitality.
Can You Spare a Dime contains examples of (YMMV here):
- Berserk Button: Do not take advantage of Spongebob's hospitality.
- Beware the Nice OnesSpongeBob: Listen, you crustaceous cheapskate! Squidward's been living in my house driving me crazy! AND YOU'RE NOT GONNA HIRE HIM BACK ALL BECAUSE OF A STUPID DIME!?
- Body Horror: When Spongebob lifts up Squidward's shirt and both his and Squidward's hearts join together, beating.
- In the German dub, Squidward gasps in horror at this because he's too shocked to scream.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded EggsSquidward: I can be anything I set my mind to! I can be a football player! Or a king! Or a spaceman!SpongeBob: Or a football-playing king in space! ...With a mustache!
- Break the Cutie: SpongeBob. After keeping Squidward for a period of time so long that the old narrator who reads the time cards actually quits, he finally breaks- a hole in the wall, that is, and screams while pushing his bed, with Squidward in it, all the way to the Krusty Krab and almost strangles his boss.
- Comically Missing the Point: Squidward is either too pious or too dumb to notice all of the very obvious hits Spongebob is dropping to tell him to get a job.Squidward: [The lemonade] is already contaminated by the bad seed! It won't work.Spongebob: (mumbling to himself) That's two things in this house that won't work.Squidward: Then go fix them!(Spongebob angrily crushes glass in his hand)Spongebob: (louder) TWO THINGS THAT WOOOOON'T WOOOOORK!
- Deadpan Snarker: Spongebob, of all characters, once he gets fed up with Squidward treating him like a slave. He eventually becomes a screaming snarker when Squidward won't take the hint.
- Dinner Deformation: Squidward is forced to eat his paintings after no one would buy them, and then we see the canvases stretching out his stomach.
- Entitled Bastard: Squidward becomes incredibly demanding towards the episode's latter half, not only clearly overstepping his boundaries as a guest in Spongebob's house, but having the nerve to snap at him for little things such as not wearing a French Maid Outfit, or serving him a lemon with three seeds in it.
- French Maid Outfit: Squidward forces SpongeBob to wear one.
- Gilligan Cut: "The next time you see me, I'll have this town eating at the palm of my hand." Cut to Squidward begging for change on the sidewalk.
- Hammer Space: Mr. Krabs' dime falls out of his pocket... and it's a giant stone wheel as big as he is.SpongeBob: This is a dime?Mr. Krabs: I've been in business a long time, boy.
- Here We Go Again: Mr. Krabs rehires Squidward... and forgives him for misplacing his dime. As he watched them argue again, Spongebob quietly slips into his French Maid Outfit again, knowing what to expect.
- Jerkass: Both Squidward and Mr. Krabs are at their worst here.
- Lazy Bum: Being waited on hand-and-foot by Spongebob turns Squidward into one of these.
- Nice Guy: SpongeBob definitely qualifies for the first half of the episode. He genuinely worries about Squidward when he quits his job at the Krusty Krab, and when he eventually finds Squidward living on the streets, he selflessly takes him into his home (even letting him sleep in his bed) until he can find work again, and treats the guy like royalty. That is, until Squidward pushes him too far.
- Ocular Gushers: It's a given, but after getting evicted, Squidward cries so hard that SpongeBob soaks up his tears and squeezes them out of him.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: SpongeBob is normally enamored with Squidward and completely oblivious to how much he hates him. It's shocking enough to hear SpongeBob snarking at him under his breath, let alone get in his face and start screaming at him.
- Passive-Aggressive Kombat: Spongebob leaves several hints that Squidward should get a job before hitting his Rage Breaking Point.
- Rage Breaking Point:
- Squidward: What are you saying?
- Running Gag: Squidward being comically oblivious to whenever someone is accusing him of something.
- Shaggy Dog Story: Mr Krabs' "stolen" dime was in his back pocket the whole time.
- Shake Someone, Objects Fall: SpongeBob gets so upset at Mr. Krabs that he picks him up and shakes him, and that causes the dime to fall out of Krabs' back pocket.
- Stealth Pun: Spongebob tells Squidward that nobody will over him happiness off a silver platter... just as a passer-by offers Spongebob a cookie off a silver platter, then walks away before Squidward can take one. Turns out he meant it literally!
- Taking Advantage of Generosity: What Squidward does to SpongeBob. He gets fed up with it.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: After taking care of a spoiled Squidward for months, if not a year, Spongebob finally realizes what a jerk Squidward can be and snarks at him under his breath at every opportunity.
- Took a Level in Kindness: At first, Squidward is extremely grateful that Spongebob would take him in and promises not to be a burden. Unfortunately, all that doting turns him into a Lazy Bum who makes Spongebob his slave.