As Seen on TV contains examples of (YMMV here):
- Acquired Situational Narcissism: Being in a commercial goes to SpongeBob's head, even though he barely appears in it at all.
- Bad Bad Acting: Squidward and Pearl appearing in the commercial.
- Break the Haughty: Happens to SpongeBob when he slips and falls and the patties flip in the air which made him think that his "career" is over. That is until a patty lands on the grill which prompts him to continue "entertaining" the customers.
- Comically Missing the Point: SpongeBob. Even in the ending where he tells Mr. Krabs he's glad he's given up fry cooking for this.
- Kitschy Local Commercial: Mr. Krabs' ad for the Krusty Krab, done on No Budget and with Bad Bad Acting.
- Mistaken Identity: While walking to work the morning after the commercial airs, SpongeBob appears to be recognized by an old man, which inflates his ego further. In reality, the old man had mistaken SpongeBob for a box of cereal he saw on another ad.
- Prima Donna Director: Squidward spends way too much on the Krusty Krab commercial.
Airdate: March 8, 2002Mr. Krabs' first dime goes missing, and his first suspect is his cashier, Squidward. Outraged at his boss's first instinct to point fingers at him, Squidward quits and storms out of the building. After some time, SpongeBob finds him on the side of the road, living in a cardboard box. Being the gracious person he is, he decides to take him in, only for Squidward to take advantage of his hospitality.
Can You Spare a Dime contains examples of (YMMV here):
- Beware the Nice OnesSpongeBob: Listen, you crustaceous cheapskate! Squidward's been living in my house driving me crazy! AND YOU'RE NOT GONNA HIRE HIM BACK ALL BECAUSE OF A STUPID DIME!?
- Body Horror: When Spongebob lifts up Squidward's shirt and both his and Squidward's hearts join together, beating.
- In the German dub, Squidward gasps in horror at this because he's too shocked to scream.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded EggsSquidward: I can be anything I set my mind to! I can be a football player! Or a king! Or a spaceman!SpongeBob: Or a football-playing king in space! ...With a mustache!
- Break the Cutie: SpongeBob. After keeping Squidward for a period of time so long that the old narrator who reads the time cards actually quits, he finally breaks- a hole in the wall, that is, and screams while pushing his bed, with Squidward in it, all the way to the Krusty Krab and almost strangles his boss.
- Dinner Deformation: Squidward is forced to eat his paintings after no one would buy them, and then we see the canvases stretching out his stomach.
- French Maid Outfit: Squidward forces SpongeBob to wear one.
- Gilligan Cut: "The next time you see me, I'll have this town eating at the palm of my hand." Cut to Squidward begging for change on the sidewalk.
- Hammer Space: Mr. Krabs' dime falls out of his pocket... and it's a giant stone wheel as big as he is.SpongeBob: This is a dime?Mr. Krabs: I've been in business a long time, boy.
- Here We Go Again: After Mr. Krabs hires Squidward again, he states that he was sure he didn't mean to put the dime in his pants.Mr. Krabs: Well, it's obvious you put the dime in me pants. Dimes just don't fly into people's pants!
- Jerkass: Squidward, and he never shows a sign of thankfulness.
- Karma Houdini: Squidward gets nothing in return for treating SpongeBob like a slave. Well he almost gets away with it.
- Nice Guy: SpongeBob definitely qualifies for the first half of the episode. He genuinely worries about Squidward when he quits his job at the Krusty Krab, and when he eventually finds Squidward living on the streets, he selflessly takes him into his home (even letting him sleep in his bed) until he can find work again, and treats the guy like royalty. That is, until Squidward pushes him too far.
- Ocular Gushers: It's a given, but after getting evicted Squidward cries so hard that Spongebob soaks up his tears and squeezes them out of him.
- Rage Breaking Point: "What are you saying?"
- Shaggy Dog Story: Mr Krabs' "stolen" dime was in his back pocket the whole time.
- Shake Someone, Objects Fall: SpongeBob gets so upset at Mr. Krabs that he picks him up and shakes him,and that causes the dime to fall out of Krabs' back pocket.
- Taking Advantage of Generosity: What Squidward does to Spongebob. He gets fed up with it.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Happens to SpongeBob, thanks to taking care of a spoiled Squidward.