"Hi, SpongeBob. I'm gonna kick your butt."Airdate: October 5, 2001A new student named Flatts comes to Mrs. Puff's Boating School. SpongeBob obviously tries to hit it off, but Flatts insists on kicking SpongeBob's butt. At first he thinks he's joking, but when he discovers he's serious, SpongeBob begins to fear for his life.
— Flatts the Flounder
The Bully contains examples of (YMMV here):
- Acting Unnatural: Hiding in a bathroom stall, SpongeBob hears someone coming and tries to act natural. When the stranger opens the stall, he finds a live-action sponge floating in the toilet.
- Adults Are Useless: Spongebob asks Mrs. Puff to intervene, but she only makes it worse. Then he runs into Flats' dad and finds out that he's being bullied as well!
- Black Comedy: This episode would be terrifying if not played so absurdly.
- Blatant Lies: Flatts tells Mrs. Puff that he comes from a place where ''kicking someone's butt" is his way of saying "I want to be your friend." Spongebob is not convinced.
- The Bully: Well, duh.
- Cruel Twist Ending: Flats eventually collapses from the exhaustion of trying to beat up Spongebob. Mrs Puff (who did nothing to help Spongebob when Flats was bullying him) then enters, sees Flatts lying unconscious next to Spongebob, who's fist was in the air during a heroic speech, and punishes SpongeBob for beating up Flats.
- Department of Redundancy Department: SpongeBob says Flats is a victim of "a society that's going down a violent road to nowhere, a road I call... Violence Road."
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Flatts telling Mrs. Puff that he comes from a place where "kicking someone's butt" means they want to be your friend sounds like an only slightly more absurd version of "he's only teasing you because he likes you."
- For the Evulz: Flatts wants to kick Spongebob's butt. Why? It's just what he does.
- Guest Star: Flats is played by the bully himself Thomas F. Wilson aka Biff Tannen from the Back to the Future films.
- Hope Spot: As Flatts chased SpongeBob with a garbage boat, the garbage boat slipped on a banana peel SpongeBob accidentally dropped. As Flatts was recovering at the hospital, it turned out SpongeBob assisted him during recovery. Flatts was touched. He'll have to remember that when he's kicking his butt.
- And then there's that Cruel Twist Ending.
- Jerkass: Flats out of nowhere.
- Kafka Comedy: The first of many times in which the show would derive humor from terrible things happening to characters who don't deserve it.
- Karma Houdini: Zig-zagged. Flats exhausts himself trying and failing to beat up Spongebob, but he doesn't actually get in trouble. In fact, Spongebob's many attempts to get him in trouble only serve to make the situation worse.
- Literal Ass Kicking: Inverted, as Flatts spends the entire episode threatening to kick Spongebob's butt (in those exact words), but instead punches him in the face when the time comes.
- Made Out to Be a Jerkass: After Flatts passes out from punching him, SpongeBob makes a speech denouncing violence, raising his fist for emphasis. Enter Mrs. Puff, who sees Flats passed out on the floor and Spongebob with his fist raised and makes her own conclusion.
- Medium-Shift Gag: SpongeBob "acting natural" as a live-action kitchen sponge.
- Misplaced Retribution: The citizens of Bikini Bottom always attack an old man when SpongeBob freaked out about Flatts kicking his butt. Granted, they did think SpongeBob was talking about him.
- No Sell: It turns out Flatts' punches don't harm SpongeBob at all. He tires himself to exhaustion trying to knock him out for a full day.
- Pushover Parent: Flats' father is not exempt from Flats' bullying.
- Rubber Man: SpongeBob is able to absorb all of Flats' fits due to his spongy structure.
- Running Gag: SpongeBob trying to tell people about Flats' threats and the crowd assuming he's talking about an old man, whom they proceed to beat up.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Flats, after SpongeBob performs CPR on him for three hours, STILL wants to beat him up.
- Not to mention, SpongeBob introduced himself to Flatts, only to get the response, "Hi, SpongeBob. I'm gonna kick your butt."
- Visual Pun: "Let's all put on a happy face..."
- Wrong Restaurant: Patrick calls the boating school because he wanted to order a pizza and dialed the wrong number.
Airdate: October , 2001After realizing that Squidward has never eaten a Krabby Patty, SpongeBob goes to ridiculous lengths to get him to try one. But when he does and finds to like them, he tries to hide it from SpongeBob, not wanting him to be right.
Just One Bite contains examples of (YMMV here):
- All Just a Dream: The Falling in Love Montage with Squidward and a giant Krabby Patty. It was that point Squidward decided to stop at nothing to get his tentacles on a Krabby Patty.
- Bucket Booby-Trap: The "security system" is this with a twist. It's a bucket alright but it's not water. It's a bucket of gas and a lit match to set it off. Mr. Krabs was smart enough to put in two.
- Determinator: SpongeBob handcuffs himself to Squidward just to get him to eat a Krabby Patty.
- Does This Remind You of Anything??: Squidward and his need to get a Krabby Patty, no matter what it takes.
- Getting High on Their Own Supply: SpongeBob finds out that Squidward has never eaten a Krabby Patty, and spends most of the episode trying to get him to try one. When Squidward finally relents, he claims it's horrible... only to lock himself in the Krabby Patty vault and start devouring them. Once he's out and an ambulance is called to take him to the hospital from explosive overeating, the driver wistfully says he remembers his first Krabby Patty too.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: "Does this look 'unsure' to you?!"
- Guilty Pleasures: Squidward and Krabby Patties.
- Hartman Hips: Squidward, after he indulges in too many Krabby Patties. his thunderous thighs look like they were filled with cottage cheese.
- I Do Not Like Green Eggs and Ham: Squidward's attitude towards Krabby Patties in the beginning. The whole episode is a Shout-Out to said book.
- Losing Your Head: After he blows up from eating too much, all that's left of Squidward is a head with a IV attached.
- Series Continuity Error: Squidward has never tried a Krabby Patty, despite the fact he was force-fed a bunch of them back in "Your Shoe's Untied".
- Those ones were launched down his throat; he probably didn't taste them.
- Tempting Fate: Twice. Squidward asks if he has to eat a Krabby Patty from the garbage, only for a customer to throw one in the trash can. Later, while gorging on Krabby Patties, Squidward sarcastically asks if he's gonna blow up, only for that to happen shortly after.