Recap: Spongebob Squarepants S 3 E 3 The Bully Just One Bite
Airdate: October 5, 2001The episode begins with another day in Boating School for SpongeBob, when Mrs. Puff introduces a new student, Flats. SpongeBob takes the time to greet the new student, only to be told that Flats is gonna kick his butt. In the bathroom, SpongeBob tries to tell a story to Flats to try to get on his good side. This fails miserably and now Flats is gonna kick his butt twice as hard. SpongeBob then proceeds to write his final will and testament, but then he gets a phone call from Patrick. SpongeBob begs Patrick to protect him from the bully, but it turns out that Patrick and Flats were community college buddies. With nowhere else to turn, SpongeBob then turns to Mrs. Puff to resolve this. This also fails miserably as Mrs. Puff now interprets that Flats just wants to be his friend. Now frightened, SpongeBob flees all over Bikini Bottom from Flats. Flats soon corners SpongeBob in his own pineapple. Now completely helpless, SpongeBob prepares for the worst and braces for impact. However, as it turns out, Flats' blows have no effect on SpongeBob, as he is, well, a sponge. Flats continues to whale on him, but to no avail, until he finally passes out from exhaustion at school two days later. As Mrs. Puff walks into the classroom, she misunderstands the situation as SpongeBob defeating Flats. She then says she's gonna kick his butt.
The Bully contains examples of (YMMV here):
- Acting Unnatural: Hiding in a bathroom stall, SpongeBob hears someone coming and tries to act natural. When the stranger opens the stall, he finds a live-action sponge floating in the toilet.
- Adults Are Useless: Mrs. Puff. Flats' father counts too, as he's completely powerless against his son.
- Blatant Lies: Flatts tells Mrs. Puff that he comes from a place where ''kicking someone's butt" is his way of saying "I want to be your friend." Spongebob is not convinced.
- The Bully: Well, duh.
- Cruel Twist Ending: Flats eventually collapses from the exhaustion of trying to beat up Spongebob. Mrs Puff (who did nothing to help Spongebob when Flats was bullying him) then enters, see's Flats lying unconscious next to Spongebob, who's fist was in the air during a heroic speech, and punishes Spongebob for beating up Flats.
- For the Evulz: Flatts wants to kick Spongebob's butt. Why? It's just what he does.
- Hope Spot: As Flats chased SpongeBob with a garbage boat, the garbage boat slipped on a banana peel SpongeBob accidentally dropped. As Flats was recovering at the hospital, it turned out SpongeBob assisted him during recovery. Flats was touched. He'll have to remember that when he's kicking his butt.
- Also the ending. See Cruel Twist Ending above.
- Jerkass: Flats out of nowhere.
- Medium Shift Gag: SpongeBob "acting natural" as a live-action kitchen sponge.
- Misplaced Retribution: The citizens of Bikini Bottom always attacked the old man when Spongebob freaked out about Flats kicking his butt.
- No Sell: It turns out Flats' punches don't harm SpongeBob at all. He tires himself to exhaustion trying to knock him out for a full day.
- Pushover Parent: Flats' father is not exempt from Flats' bullying.
- Rubber Man: SpongeBob is able to absorb all of Flats' fits due to his spongy structure.
- Running Gag: SpongeBob trying to tell people about Flats' threats and the crowd assuming he's talking about an old man, whom they proceed to beat up.
- Visual Pun: "Let's all put on a happy face."
Airdate: October , 2001The episode begins with another working day at the Krusty Krab, when Squidward announces that he hates Krabby Patties. SpongeBob, upon hearing this, goes out of his way to make Squidward eat one, since he never ate one before that statement. After much persuading, Squidward takes a bite of a Krabby Patty. At first glance, it seems like Squidward hated the Patty, but when SpongeBob leaves the scene, it is revealed that Squidward loves the Krabby Patty. Squidward then tries to get another Krabby Patty through various means (ordering one under the order of another customer, eating one out of the garbage), but to no avail. Eventually, Squidward can't take it anymore, and rushes to sneak into the Krusty Krab to get into the Patty Vault. Unfortunately for him, SpongeBob shows up as well, since he always comes to the restaurant early to count the sesame seeds. Being trapped into a corner, Squidward finally admits he loves Krabby Patties, locks himself in the Patty Vault and proceeds to gorge on the burgers. SpongeBob tries to warn him not to eat too many of them, or else he'll blow up. However, that warning comes in too late, and Squidward blows up from eating too many Krabby Patties, hospitalizing him.
Just One Bite contains examples of (YMMV here):
- All Just a Dream: The Falling in Love Montage with Squidward and a giant Krabby Patty. It was that point Squidward decided to stop at nothing to get his tentacles on a Krabby Patty.
- Determinator: Spongebob handcuffs himself to Squidward just to get him to eat a Krabby Patty.
- Does This Remind You of Anything??: Squidward and his need to get a Krabby Patty, no matter what it takes.
- Edited for Syndication: The episode originally contained a scene in which Squidward ran into the Krusty Krab's "security system": a Bucket Booby-Trap. Except it's not water, it's gasoline. And it happens twice. These forty seconds have been cut out since 2001. Although the scene can be seen outside the U.S.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: "Does this look 'unsure' to you?!"
- Guilty Pleasures: Squidward and Krabby Patties.
- I Do Not Like Green Eggs and Ham: Squidward's attitude towards Krabby Patties in the beginning.
- Hartman Hips: Squidward, after he indulges in too many Krabby Patties.
- Tempting Fate: Twice. Squidward asks if he has to eat a Krabby Patty from the garbage, only for a customer to throw one in the trash can. Later, while gorging on Krabby Patties, Squidward sarcastically asks if he's gonna blow up, only for that to happen shortly after.
- Series Continuity Error: Squid never having tried a Krabby Patty; he ate a bunch of them back in "Your Shoe's Untied".
- Those ones were launched down his throat; he probably didn't taste them.