"New Student Starfish" contains examples of:
- Break the Cutie: SpongeBob when his star is taken off the wall.
- Detention Episode: When SpongeBob and Patrick have a (wimpy) fight in the hallway, Mrs. Puff gives both of them detention. While in detention, the light bulb that keeps Roger alive burns out, so SpongeBob and Patrick have to put their differences aside and work together to keep Roger warm and find a new light bulb to replace the old one.
- Fainting: SpongeBob faints out of his chair when Mrs. Puff removes one of his gold stars from the wall.Patrick: Mrs. Puff, is it naptime?
- Feud Episode: SpongeBob and Patrick's quarrel begun after Patrick made SpongeBob lose his star.
- Hold Your Hippogriffs: "May Neptune have mercy on your soul."
- Idiot Houdini: Patrick
- Instant Wristwatch: Patrick when he realizes they're too early for class. He then hangs a lampshade on it by asking "When did I start wearing a watch?"
- Not This One, That One: When SpongeBob is showing Patrick around the school.SpongeBob: Behold, Patrick, the Hallway of Learning. And here's the Fountain of Learning. And these are the Lockers of Learning.
Patrick: And these are the Stairs of Learning, right?
SpongeBob: No, they're just the stairs. These are the Stairs of Learning.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: When Roger hatches from his egg at the end, he's a live-action chick.
- Rule of Funny: When Mrs. Puff sees the unflattering drawing Patrick made thinking SpongeBob made it, she suddenly looks exactly like the crude drawing.
- Scary Flashlight Face: Parodied. Mrs. Puff does this when she sends SpongeBob and Patrick to detention. She conveniently turns the flashlight off.
- Spontaneous Crowd Formation: As soon as SpongeBob and Patrick start arguing, a crowd of students gather around them chanting "Fight! Fight! Fight!" It takes Patrick a while to figure out that they mean that he and SpongeBob are the ones who are fighting.
- Wimp Fight: SpongeBob and Patrick do this.
Airdate: September 20, 2002In celebration for earning his millionth dollar, Mr. Krabs takes his "loyal crew" of SpongeBob and Squidward on a clam fishing trip. The trip serves to be much of a let down for Squidward, but things go from bad to worse after a giant clam steals Mr. Krabs' millionth dollar. Now SpongeBob and Squidward must find a way to either get the dollar back, or be held prisoner on the ship by their boss, whose sanity is slowly leaving him.
"Clams" provides examples of:
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: When Squidward tries to pass off one of his own dollars as Mr. Krabs' millionth dollar, Mr. Krabs soon finds out that Squidward's dollar has been crumpled up, torn slightly, soaked in a lagoon, and kissed with Coral Blue #2 Semi-Gloss lipstick.SpongeBob: Actually, it's Coral Blue #3.
- The Bait: Mr. Krabs resorts to using SpongeBob and Squidward as bait to catch the clam.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Mr. Krabs notices the creepy background music shortly before the clam ate his millionth Dollar.
- Break the Haughty: Mr. Krabs after the clam steals his millionth dollar.
- Burning the Ships: As motivation to catch the clam, Mr. Krabs nails a sandwich to the mast of the ship—then throws the boat's fridge overboard, so that no one may eat until the clam is captured."Now I think we understand each other. Nobody eats until I get me millionth dollar back."
- Clam Trap: The clam eats Krab's millionth dollar and at the end, most of Krabs himself.
- Description Cut: When SpongeBob worries about Gary being left home alone without food, it cuts to Gary at home eating the couch.
- Drama Queen: Squidward says what the audience is all thinking about Mr. Krabs.
- Et Tu, Brute?: Mr. Krabs to his employees after they attempted to trick him by passing off an ordinary dollar as his millionth dollar.Mr. Krabs: I trusted you, and you gave me this? I can't believe me own crew would betray me like this!
- Eye Scream: At one point, the Mr. Krabs takes his eyestalks out of his head and starts jumping rope with them.
- Get Out: When Mr. Krabs gets his millionth dollar, he shoos out all his customers so he can be alone with it.Customer: What do I win?Mr. Krabs: Nothing! Now get out.Customer: Wha?Mr. Krabs: GET OUT! EVERYBODY GET OUT, YOU'RE SPOILING ME MOMENT!
- Gross-Up Close-Up: "I mean, a crew like you comes around maybe once in a lifetime."
- Laughing Mad: Mr. Krabs, as part of his Sanity Slippage.
- Left the Background Music On: The clam's Leitmotif is being played by the orchestra in Mr. Krab's ship. Krabs even has the band play it to lure the clam into the open.
- Medium Blending: A live-action orchestra is revealed to be playing the Clam's theme music.
- Moby Schtick: With Krabs as Ahab and the clam as Moby-Dick.
- Ocular Gushers: Mr. Krabs goes into a bawling fit after losing his millionth dollar. At one point, his eyes turn into faucets pouring streams of tears.
- Oh, Crap!: Squidward and SpongeBob when Mr. Krabs catches their deceit. And again when Krabs dumps all the food and the fridge off the ship. And again when they're used as live bait for the clam and it notices them.
- Sanity Slippage: Mr. Krabs"I know what yer thinking! 'It's just a dumb old dollar! Let's just leeeeave the old man, he won't notice!'"
- Scream Discretion Shot: A comedic example happens when SpongeBob accidentally rips off Squidward's nose with a fishing hook, and cut to Mr. Krabs on the other side of the boat.
- Serious Business: Mr. Krabs won't rest until he gets his millionth dollar back from the Clam, even if he has to starve his crew.
- Many things, including the Clam's theme and the title card, are references to Jaws.
- Krabs' obsession with catching the giant clam is a parody of Moby-Dick. The scene where he nails a sandwich to a mast as motivation parodies a key scene in the novel, where Ahab nails a gold coin and offers it as a reward to whomever first spots the White Whale.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!Squidward: Um, SpongeBob, haven't you noticed that Mr. Krabs has gone COMPLETELY INSANE?!
- Tempting Fate: When Mr. Krabs tells Squidward not to bring anything you're not prepared to lose on the boat, SpongeBob accidentally hooks his millionth dollar taped to the back of his pants.
- Umpteenth Customer: The customer who gives Krabs his millionth dollar. He doesn't get a prize, though; in fact, Krabs is upset that he even asks for one. The customer didn't even get his food!
- Visual Pun: When Mr. Krabs is crying over the loss of his dollar, SpongeBob says he's "never seen him so broken up". Cut to Krabs having literally fallen apart on the deck.
- You Should Have Died Instead: From this exchange after Mr. Krabs was eaten by a clam (or so they thought):SpongeBob: Poor Mr. Krabs, gone out of our lives forever. Why couldn't it had been me? Why?
Squidward: Yes, why couldn't it had been you?