Airdate: September 20, 2002
Feeling bad for having to leave Patrick alone in the neighborhood, SpongeBob invites him to a day at Boating School with him. Things start off pretty well, but the two soon begin to realize that dealing with each other in school creates a lot more tension than dealing with each other anywhere else.
"New Student Starfish" contains examples of:
- Break the Cutie: SpongeBob when his star is taken off the wall.
- Fainting: SpongeBob faints out of his chair when Mrs. Puff removes one of his gold stars from the wall.
Patrick: Mrs. Puff, is it naptime?
- Feud Episode: SpongeBob and Patrick's quarrel begun after Patrick made SpongeBob lose his star.
- Hold Your Hippogriffs: "May Neptune have mercy on your soul."
- Idiot Houdini: Patrick
- Instant Wristwatch: Patrick when he realizes they're too early for class. He then hangs a lampshade on it by asking "When did I start wearing a watch?"
- Not This One, That One: When SpongeBob is showing Patrick around the school.
SpongeBob: Behold, Patrick, the Hallway of Learning. And here's the Fountain of Learning. And these are the Lockers of Learning.
Patrick: And these are the Stairs of Learning, right?
SpongeBob: No, they're just the stairs. These are the Stairs of Learning.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: When Roger hatches from his egg at the end, he's a live-action chick.
- Rule of Funny: When Mrs. Puff sees the unflattering drawing Patrick made thinking SpongeBob made it, she suddenly looks exactly like the crude drawing.
- Scary Flashlight Face: Parodied. Mrs. Puff does this when she sends SpongeBob and Patrick to detention. She conveniently turns the flashlight off.
- Wimp Fight: SpongeBob and Patrick do this.
Airdate: September 20, 2002
In celebration for earning his millionth dollar, Mr. Krabs take his "loyal crew" of SpongeBob and Squidward on a clam fishing trip. The trip serves to be much of a let down for Squidward, but things go from bad to worse after a giant clam steals Mr. Krabs millionth dollar. Now SpongeBob and Squidward must find a way to either get the dollar back, or be held prisoner on the ship by their boss, whose sanity is slowly leaving him
"Clams" provides examples of:
- The Bait: Mr. Krabs resorts to using SpongeBob and Squidward as bait to catch the clam.
- Break the Cutie: Mr. Krabs after the clam steals his millionth dollar.
- Burning the Ships: As motivation to catch the clam, Mr. Krabs nails a sandwich to the mast of the ship—then throws the boat's fridge overboard, so that no one may eat until the clam is captured.
"Now understand each other. Nobody eats until we get my millionth dollar back."
- Description Cut: When SpongeBob worries about Gary being left home alone without food, it cuts to Gary at home eating the couch.
- Eye Scream: At one point, the Mr. Krabs takes his eyestalks out of his head and starts jumping rope with them.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: "I mean, a crew like you comes around maybe once in a lifetime."
- Left the Background Music On: The clam's Leitmotif is being played by the orchestra in Mr. Krab's ship. Krabs even has the band play it to lure the clam into the open.
- Medium Blending: A live-action orchestra plays the music for Krab's announcement of the millionth dollar earned, and is later revealed to be the one playing the Clam's theme music.
- Sanity Slippage: Mr. Krabs
- Scream Discretion Shot: When SpongeBob rips off Squidward's nose with a fishing hook.
- Shout-Out: Many things, including the Clam's theme and the title card, is a reference to Jaws.
- Krabs' obsession with catching the giant clam is a parody of Moby-Dick. The scene where he nails a sandwich to a mast as motivation parodies a key scene in the novel, where Ahab nails a gold coin and offers it as a reward to whomever first spots the White Whale.
- Suddenly Shouting
Squidward: Um, SpongeBob, haven't you noticed that Mr. Krabs has gone COMPLETELY INSANE?!
- Tempting Fate: When Mr. Krabs tells Squidward not to bring anything you're not prepared to lose on the boat, SpongeBob accidentally hooks his millionth dollar taped to the back of his pants.
- Umpteenth Customer: The customer who gives Krabs his millionth dollar. He doesn't get a prize, though; in fact, Krabs is upset that he even asks for one.
- Visual Pun: When Mr. Krabs is crying over the loss of his dollar, SpongeBob says he's "never seen him so broken up". Cut to Krabs having literally fallen apart on the deck.
- You Should Have Died Instead: From this exchange after Mr. Krabs was eaten by a clam (or so they thought):
SpongeBob: Poor Mr. Krabs, gone out of our lives forever. Why couldn't it had been me? Why?
Squidward: Yes, why couldn't it had been you?