Recap: Sponge Bob Square Pants S 3 E 13 New Student Starfish Clams
Airdate: September 20, 2002
Feeling bad for having to leave Patrick alone in the neighborhood, SpongeBob invites him to a day at Boating School with him. Things start off pretty well, but the two soon begin to realize that dealing with each other in school creates a lot more tension than dealing with each other anywhere else.
"New Student Starfish" contains examples of:
- Break the Cutie: SpongeBob when his star is taken off the wall.
- Fainting: SpongeBob faints out of his chair when Mrs. Puff removes one of his gold stars from the wall.
Patrick: Mrs. Puff, is it naptime?
- Feud Episode: SpongeBob and Patrick's quarrel begun after Patrick made SpongeBob lose his star.
- Hold Your Hippogriffs: "May Neptune have mercy on your soul."
- Idiot Houdini: Patrick
- Instant Wristwatch: Patrick when he realizes they're too early for class. He then hangs a lampshade on it by asking "When did I start wearing a watch?"
- Not This One, That One: When SpongeBob is showing Patrick around the school.
SpongeBob: Behold, Patrick, the Hallway of Learning. And here's the Fountain of Learning. And these are the Lockers of Learning.
Patrick: And these are the Stairs of Learning, right?
SpongeBob: No, they're just the stairs. These are the Stairs of Learning.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: When Roger hatches from his egg at the end, he's a live-action chick.
- Rule of Funny: When Mrs. Puff sees the unflattering drawing Patrick made thinking SpongeBob made it, she suddenly looks exactly like the crude drawing.
- Scary Flashlight Face: Parodied. Mrs. Puff does this when she sends SpongeBob and Patrick to detention. She conveniently turns the flashlight off.
- Wimp Fight: SpongeBob and Patrick do this.
Airdate: September 20, 2002
In celebration for earning his millionth dollar, Mr. Krabs take his "loyal crew" of SpongeBob and Squidward on a clam fishing trip. The trip serves to be much of a let down for Squidward, but things go from bad to worse after a giant clam steals Mr. Krabs millionth dollar. Now SpongeBob and Squidward must find a way to either get the dollar back, or be held prisoner on the ship by their boss, whose sanity is slowly leaving him
"Clams" provides examples of:
- The Bait: Mr. Krabs resorts to using SpongeBob and Squidward as bait to catch the clam.
- Break the Cutie: Mr. Krabs after the clam steals his millionth dollar.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Mr. Krabs notices the creepy background music shortly before the clam ate his millionth Dollar.
- Burning the Ships: As motivation to catch the clam, Mr. Krabs nails a sandwich to the mast of the ship—then throws the boat's fridge overboard, so that no one may eat until the clam is captured.
"Now I think we understand each other. Nobody eats until we get my millionth dollar back."
- Description Cut: When SpongeBob worries about Gary being left home alone without food, it cuts to Gary at home eating the couch.
- Drama Queen: Squidward says what the audience is all thinking about Mr. Krabs.
- Eye Scream: At one point, the Mr. Krabs takes his eyestalks out of his head and starts jumping rope with them.
- Gross-Up Close-Up: "I mean, a crew like you comes around maybe once in a lifetime."
- Left the Background Music On: The clam's Leitmotif is being played by the orchestra in Mr. Krab's ship. Krabs even has the band play it to lure the clam into the open.
- Medium Blending: A live-action orchestra plays the music for Krab's announcement of the millionth dollar earned, and is later revealed to be the one playing the Clam's theme music.
- Moby Schtick: With Krabs as Ahab and the clam as Moby-Dick.
- Sanity Slippage: Mr. Krabs
- Scream Discretion Shot: When SpongeBob rips off Squidward's nose with a fishing hook.
- Shout-Out: Many things, including the Clam's theme and the title card, is a reference to Jaws.
- Krabs' obsession with catching the giant clam is a parody of Moby-Dick. The scene where he nails a sandwich to a mast as motivation parodies a key scene in the novel, where Ahab nails a gold coin and offers it as a reward to whomever first spots the White Whale.
- Serious Business: Mr. Krabs won't rest until he gets his millionth dollar back from the Clam, even if he has to starve his crew.
- Suddenly Shouting
Squidward: Um, SpongeBob, haven't you noticed that Mr. Krabs has gone COMPLETELY INSANE?!
- Tempting Fate: When Mr. Krabs tells Squidward not to bring anything you're not prepared to lose on the boat, SpongeBob accidentally hooks his millionth dollar taped to the back of his pants.
- Umpteenth Customer: The customer who gives Krabs his millionth dollar. He doesn't get a prize, though; in fact, Krabs is upset that he even asks for one.
- Visual Pun: When Mr. Krabs is crying over the loss of his dollar, SpongeBob says he's "never seen him so broken up". Cut to Krabs having literally fallen apart on the deck.
- You Should Have Died Instead: From this exchange after Mr. Krabs was eaten by a clam (or so they thought):
SpongeBob: Poor Mr. Krabs, gone out of our lives forever. Why couldn't it had been me? Why?
Squidward: Yes, why couldn't it had been you?