Recap: Sponge Bob Square Pants S 1 E 1 Your Shoes Untied Squids Day Off
Airdate: November 2, 2000Patrick just bought a new pair of shoes and wants SpongeBob to teach him how to tie his laces. Only SpongeBob has had his shoes laced for so long, he himself has forgotten how, and now he can't find anyone to teach him.
"Your Shoe's Untied" contains examples of:
- Art Evolution: Compare this episode, the first of the second season, to the last episode of the first: in addition to now being inked and colored digitally, the colors are much more vivd and the drawings are tighter.
- Balloon Belly: After Squidward is force-fed the customer's orders.
- Break the Cutie: Happens to SpongeBob after Squidward shouts at the customers that it's all his fault he ruined all of their orders.
- Dinner Deformation: SpongeBob keeps tripping on his laces and the Krabby Patties end up going into Squidward's mouth. It happens so many times that Squidward's body ends up looking like a bloated pile of patties.
- Does Not Wear Shoes: Everyone in Bikini Bottom except SpongeBob. This causes problems when SpongeBob can't find someone who knows how to tie shoes.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: A classic example; Spongebob's reaction to Gary catching him watching an anemone show makes it look like the little yellow guy was just watching porn.
- High-Pressure Emotion: Mr. Krabs when he hears that SpongeBob's antics drove his customers away.
- Series Continuity Error: SpongeBob doesn't know how to tie his shoes, yet in the season one episode "Rock Bottom" he is seen doing just that.
- Special Guest: Ween, who performs the "Loop De Loop" song at the end.
- The One Who Wears Shoes: SpongeBob's dilemma is that he's the only one who has shoes, and thus no one else knows how to tie them, even the Flying Dutchman.
"Squid's Day Off" contains examples of:
- Berserk Board Barricade: Squidward boards up his door with planks, chains and police tape to keep himself inside his house.
- Broken Record: Have you finished those errands? Have you finished those errands? Have you finished those errands?
- Censor Suds: Squidward has bath bubbles covering his shame when he runs to the Krusty Krab to "catch" SpongeBob. When the bubbles pop, he puts on SpongeBob's pants.
- Clutching Hand Trap: The whole plot gets started when Mr. Krabs gets his claw stuck trying to retrieve a dime from the sink drain.SpongeBob: "You gotta let go of the dime, Mr. Krabs."
Mr. Krabs: I can think of ten reasons not to let go of a dime.
- Furry Reminder: When Squidward goes the water in his tub, he suddenly looks more like a squid.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The way Spongebob helps Mr. Krabs pull the dime out.
- Imagine Spot: On Squidward's end. His is a drooling, droopy Patrick asking for change for a quarter, and a cross-eyed SpongeBob with a tongue sticking out and a very exaggerated Simpleton Voice banging on the cash register and giving him loads of money. He later imagines a burning Krusty Krab.
- Lemony Narrator:(Camera pans, following Jellyfish then stopping at Krusty Krab exterior.)Narrator: "Ah springtime. A time of fun and frolic for most."(Dissolve cut to Squidward looking despondent at the doors.)Narrator: "But not for this poor slob."
- Madness Mantra: The montage of Squidward checking Spongebob.
- Mirror Monologue: Squidward gives one to himself to remind him not to go back to the Krusty Krab to check on SpongeBob.Squidward: "Now, repeat after me: 'You will not go back to the Krusty Krab'."(reflection changes into SpongeBob)SpongeBob: "I will destroy the Krusty Krab."(Squidward screams and throws the mirror at the wall)
- Nightmare Face: Squidward provides a couple when he goes insane from trying to catch SpongeBob screwing up.
- Oh, No... Not Again!: SpongeBob says this when Mr. Krab's arms come off trying to remove the dime from the sink.
- Overly Long Gag: "Have you finished those errands?"
- Sanity Slippage: Squidward undergoes this when he thinks SpongeBob is spying on him trying to relax.
- Shaggy Dog Story: It turns out nobody came to the Krusty Krab because they forgot to switch the "Closed" sign to "Open", so Squidward could have taken the day off if he wanted to.