Licinia, a rich noblewoman, desires a gladiator to sleep with - and Lucretia arranges for it to be Spartacus himself. However Illithyia also expresses desire to sleep with a gladiator - and Lucretia is none too pleased when she requests Crixus.
* AlphaBitch: Licinia is the cousin of Marcus Crassus and therefore an elite noblewoman. Given that she's perfectly willing to laugh at the trick Lucretia pulled, the bitch part is true as well.
* BedTrick: It's revealed that the woman Spartacus was sleeping with is Illithyia and not Licinia. Given that she was expecting Crixus, this is a rare case where ''both'' members suffered this.
* BerserkButton: Turns out Illithyia does ''not'' like being laughed at.
* BigBrotherInstinct: Agron is warned against his, giving Duro a chance to stand on his own.
* ChekhovsGun: The discretion used whenever a noblewoman wants to sleep with a gladiator - notably Licinia coming without any slaves or attendants, and without telling anyone. This proves accidentally useful when she's murdered and they can easily hide the body.
* ClingyJealousGirl[=/=]WomanScorned: Lucretia does ''not'' take Illithyia asking to sleep with Crixus well.
* TheDogBitesBack: After Illithyia has been humiliated from the above trick, she beats Licinia to death.
* EvenEvilHasStandards: Batiatus is outraged when he learns of the BedTrick. While part of this could be excused as pragmatism (they now have a murder victim to deal with), he also apologizes to Spartacus over it and seems sincere.
** Mira is sent to sleep with Spartacus in preparation for his night with Licinia. He refuses and Lucretia sends her back. This time Spartacus cuts a deal with Mira, and she simply tells Lucretia "he made many demands of me."
** Likewise Lucretia thinks back to Crixus facing Theokoles in the arena and thought he was looking to her - when it was Naevia standing beside her. When she asks him what he was thinking, he replies something about "the arms of a goddess".
* FanserviceExtra: There's rather a lot of naked slaves in the background here.
* GoldMakesEverythingShiny: Both participants in the love scene are covered in gold paint, and wearing golden masks.
** Licinia's participation in the humiliation of Illithyia bites her in the ass when the latter beats her to death right there.
** Illithyia getting pranked is this to trying to get Segovax to murder Spartacus.
* MaleFrontalNudity: Of a sort. Andy Whitfield wore a fake penis for his nude scene.
* NakedOnArrival: Mira does this twice in one episode. She is nude in her first scene, as one of the topless slaves modelling the masks for Licinia. And when Spartacus finds her in his cell, she's naked.
* NeverFoundTheBody: Spartacus advises Varo on this, since Aurelia's house was found empty and with blood on the floor - but no bodies found. He's quite right; since it turns out Aurelia castrated the rapist.
* NotDistractedByTheSexy: Spartacus does not care for Mira being naked in his cell.
** Crixus spies Naevia flirting with a guard. It turns out she was distracting him so she could steal a key - and therefore allow them an opportunity to embrace.
** A swap around where the person assumes something tame, when it's actually something raunchy. Illithyia sees Licinia hiding a mask, and assumes Lucretia is planning a masquerade ball.
* ReplacementGoldfish: Invoked. Lucretia picks a slave with a resemblance to Spartacus's dead wife to 'prepare' him for Licinia. He's not amused.
* SmallRoleBigImpact: Licinia is only in this one episode. However her death provides Quintus and Lucretia with means to blackmail Glaber and discredit Illithyia. Likewise as a result of this, Illithyia leaves the two of them to be slaughtered by their own gladiators in the season finale.
* WhamLine: "Apologies, Licinia. Illithyia is not yet finished with Spartacus."