Recap: South Park S 1 E 5 An Elephant Makes Love To A Pig
September 10, 1997
Stan contends with his violent, older sister, Shelley, while Kyle sets out to crossbreed an elephant with a pig.
"An Elephant Makes Love to a Pig" contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: There's hints of Mrs. Cartman being one involving Cartman when it comes to her promiscuity.
Cartman: Hey, why don't you stop dressin' me up like a mailman, annnd making me dance for you while you go and smoke crack in your bedroom and have sex with some guy I don't even know, on my dad's bed!
- Braces of Orthodontic Overkill: Shelley
- Bowdlerization: Along with the change in title (see below in Censored Title), a scene was cut that involved Shelley lighting Stan on fire and soaking him with a bucket of water (only to repeat the actions twice more). It was removed so late in production that a puddle still inexplicably appears underneath Stan after she's thrown him. Comedy Central censors had ordered the scene cut in out of fear of a repeat of the Beavis And Butthead-"little kid plays with fire and his parents blame the show for it" controversy. The missing scene has been shown on some overseas cuts of the show and has cropped up once or twice on YouTube, but it's currently missing.
- Censored Title: The original production title was "An Elephant Fucks a Pig", but Comedy Central ordered it to be toned down. Trey Parker and Matt Stone expressed annoyance with the change in an early introduction video for the episode (seen on the 1998 VHS). This title is also used in the DVD mini-commentary.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: The kids at school feel bad for Stan's abuse...until they find out his sister beat him up and either make fun of him, don't believe him, or, in the case of Mr. Garrison, tell him to stop being a wuss — never mind that Shelley is a violent psychopath.
- Early Installment Weirdness: In this and a few other episodes, Kyle is the one to recite both catchphrases after Kenny's death. Although, Stan was a little busy at the time.
- Kevin Stoley is referred to by the name "Casey", while the storyboards for season 1 had identified him as "Sky".
- Establishing Character Moment: This is where the first hints of Mrs. Cartman's promiscuity are established.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Shelley steps in to defend Stan when his parents think he caused the rampage, only to proceed to beat him up again moments later.
- Karma Houdini: Shelley.
- Off Model: One portion of the cafeteria scene suddenly reverts to the paper cut-out style used in the pilot. This is due to the fact that it was a recycled scene from the unaired version of the pilot, and the creators decided to place it in this episode.
- Teens Are Monsters: Shelley beats up Stan.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Kenny dies when he's thrown into the microwave by Stan's mutant clone and is burnt to a crisp.