October 26, 2011
Randy becomes interested in Broadway musicals after learning that they carry subliminal messages urging women to give their husbands blowjobs. Meanwhile, Shelly (Stan's violent sister who wears headgear braces) gets a boyfriend (one that's actually her age, unlike Skylar from the season three meteor shower three-parter).
"Broadway Bro Down" contains examples of:
- Character Development: Shelley starts out as her hot-tempered, violent self, but soon develops feelings for Larry and is nice to him.
- Comically Missing the Point: When Randy creates his own show, the lyrics explicitly talk about women giving blow jobs instead of being subtle like the other shows. When the actual producers point this out to him, Randy just assumes they are trying to scare him out of the business.
- A Day in the Limelight: Shelley
- Frat Bro: Elton John, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Stephen Sondheim, and Stephen Schwartz are all actually beer chugging, football watching, wing eating, bros who create Broadway shows in order to help other men get sex.
- Ironic Death: Larry was always forced to wear a life preserver and took it off to prove his independence. He drowns during Randy's disastrous attempt to stop the show.
- Papa Wolf: Randy
- Product Placement/The Stinger: The very end of the episode has a short plug for The Book of Mormon, with the announcer saying "You'll get a blowjob!".
- Take That: A big one towards Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark when Randy goes to "ruin Broadway" by donning a Spider-Man costume and wrecking the theater, making fun of the destructive production problems the show had during its previews.