Recap: Seinfeld S 2 E 11 The Chinese Restaurant
Jerry, George, and Elaine stop by a Chinese restaurant on the way to see a screening of Plan 9 from Outer Space. They're told the wait will be "five, ten minutes." And there's your plot.
- Absentee Actor: As these were still the days when Kramer barely left the building, he doesn't appear.
- Bottle Episode
- Seinfeld Is Unfunny: The biggest example of it in the whole show. At the time, the idea of spending a whole episode just watching the characters stand around and talk with no other plot was considered completely unworkable by the studio execs.
- Shaggy Dog Story: The gang finally gets fed up and leaves...and then a table opens up.
- Shout-Out: Jerry doesn't want to go to Plan 9 by himself since it would mean "making sarcastic remarks to strangers." This is a reference to Mystery Science Theater 3000, created by Jerry Seinfeld's good friend Joel Hodgson. The show famously refused to riff on Plan 9, seeing it as too easy a target.
- Suddenly Shouting: George: "I KNOW I'M NOT CARTRIGHT!"
- Technology Marches On: George waits to use a pay phone.