Hermit Ren contains examples of...
- Anthropomorphic Personification/Literal Split Personality: To compensate for his lonesomeness, Ren makes friends with imaginary figures representing his anger, fear and ignorance.
- Companion Cube: For companionship, Ren makes friends with the mummified corpse of the last hermit to dwell in the cave.
- To compensate for Ren's absence, Stimpy makes a model of Ren out of his earwax. Later, it turns out that Ren made a model of Stimpy out of bat guano.
- Hearing Voices: After months of living alone in the cave, Ren soon starts hearing the mummy "speaking" to him.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Stimpy, as he butchers a classic campfire song...Someone's DYING MY LOR-ED!! A-KUMBAYAH!!...
- Sanity Slippage: A realistic and horrifying example comes from Ren as he lives out his isolation.
- Stimpy undergoes this as well while waiting for Ren to return, but it was played for laughs a lot more.
- Way Past the Expiration Date: The final straw for Ren is drinking mushy milk when he tries to put out his burning tongue.