Recap: Renand Stimpy2x 01 In The Army Powdered Toastman
In The ArmyThe Boot Camp Episode, which has Ren and Stimpy surviving boot camp by a particularly tough sergeant.Powdered ToastmanThis episode features the antics of Ren and Stimpy's favorite food mascot.
In The Army contains examples of...
- Angrish: The Sarge speaks mostly this.
- Armed Farces
- Ax-Crazy: Ren barely gets on his bed when revellie sounds, and is so upset he hacks the bed to pieces with an ax.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Ren and Stimpy sing a wildly out-of-tune version of "America the Beautiful" at the end, and get worse as the song goes on.
- Ocular Gushers: In the tear gas room, Stimpy cries so hard his eyeballs bounce around on top of the fountains of tears.
- Inelegant Blubbering: at its most inelegant.
- Peeling Potatoes: Followed by watermelons and atomic bombs.Stimpy: Hey, Ren. I think the sarge likes you best, because he gave you the most potatoes to peel.
- Sanity Slippage: The rigors of army life start to get to Ren.
- Too Important to Walk: When Ren gets tired of marching, he has Stimpy carry him on his back. Sarge is not amused.
Powdered Toastman contains examples of...
- Bowdlerization: When this episode reran on Nickelodeon, the scenes with the Pope/Man in the Pointy Hat and the scene where Powdered Toast Man uses some dusty old papers (The Constitution' and the Bill of Rights) to start the fire in the fireplace was cut after Nickelodeon's censors complained. While the "Powdered Toast Man burns the Constitution and Bill of Rights" scene did cross the line (to audiences in the United States), the Pope scenes were most likely cut out of fear that religious groups would complain.
- The Cameo: Frank Zappa as the Pope/Man in the Pointy Hat.
- Dastardly Whiplash: Muddy Mudskipper plays one.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: To save a kitten, Powdered Toastman stops a truck by crashing a plane into it.
- Satire: In addition to farcing superhero cliches, the episode satirizes how easily abused political power is.
- Save the Villain: The Pope gets Powdered Toastman to save Muddy. Subverted when Powdered Toastman ties Muddy to his own bomb while the Pope is not looking.
- Something Else Also Rises: In the final shot, Powdered Toast Man is roasting a sausage while his lovely assistant is roasting a half-melted marshmallow next to it.
- Strapped to a Bomb: Muddy Mudskipper has the Pope tied to a barrel of lit dynamite.