Recap / Renand Stimpy1x 03 Space Madness The Boy Who Cried Rat
Ren and Stimpy are watching themselves on TV as astronauts going into outer space. While on a six-year break in space, Ren and Stimpy spend some quality time together, but the stress of being stuck alone in space stresses out Ren, and no matter what Stimpy does, Ren just keeps getting more and more insane. Finally, Ren tricks Stimpy into giving into the stress as well by tempting him into pushing the HISTORY ERASER BUTTON
!The Boy Who Cried Rat
Ren and Stimpy, here penniless and hungry, pretend that Ren is a mouse and Stimpy a professional mouse catcher to get $5. It's all going well until the clients want Stimpy to eat Ren...
Space Madness provides examples of...
- Big Red Button: The beautiful, shiny, jolly, candy-like History Eraser Button.
- Companion Cube: "Oh, my beloved ice-cream bar..."
- Crazy Consumption: Ren eats a bar of soap thinking it's an ice-cream bar.
- Don't Touch It, You Idiot!: Said almost verbatim in regards to the History Eraser Button.
"DON'T TOUCH IT! IT'S THE HISTORY ERASER BUTTON, YOU FOOL!!
- Food Pills: The tube-form version. This is part of what drives Ren over the edge.
"THAT'S IT! I NEED SOME REAL FOOD!"
- Improvised Weapon: When Ren feels threatened by Stimpy, he grabs the nearest thing at hand - a toothbrush - and yells "Don't make me use it!" When Stimpy steps forward, Ren uses the toothbrush... to brush his teeth.
- Interactive Narrator: The announcer steps in and actively tries to make Stimpy touch the History Eraser Button. Will he hold out, folks? CAN he hold out?!
Stimpy: NO, I CAN'T!!!!note
- Killed Mid-Sentence: "Tune in next week, as—(ZAP)"
- Opening Narration:
Narrator: "All systems go! Prepare for countdown! 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, blast off to adventure in the amazing year four hundred billion, with Commander Hoëk, and his faithful companion Cadet Stimpy, as they roam the endless uncharted regions of space at speeds so fantastic, they throttlenote the imagination..."
- Slasher Smile: Ren makes one when he gets the idea to control his partner's...SPACE MADNESS!
- Sanity Slippage: Ren, of course!
"They think I'm crazy, but I know better. It is not I who am crazy, it is I who am MAD!!"note
- Schmuck Bait: The History Eraser Button.
- Shout-Out: Ren's line "We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!" is from the 1949 film The Champion.
- Space Madness: The Trope Namer.
- Title Drop:
Ren: "You know, they say sometimes people go crazy on these long trips. They get the...(SPACE MADNESS!). Heh, space madness.
- What Does This Button Do?:
Ren: "That's just it, we don't know! MAYBE something bad? MAYBE something good? I guess we'll never know, because YOU'RE going to guard it!"note
- Who's on First?: Near the beginning, Ren and Stimpy communicate to each other in the same spacesuit and use the "Roger!" call. A man named Roger responds to the call.
- You're Insane!:
Stimpy: "Stop it. You're talking crazy."
The Boy Who Cried Rat provides examples of...