Recap: Regular Show S 04 Ep 09 The Christmas Special
Written by Sean Szeles, Kat Morris, Benton Connor, & Hilary Florido.Santa orders Mordecai and Rigby to rid the world of a present that brings out the evil and greed in anyone who looks into the box.
This episode provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: Of The Lord of the Rings with a bit of The Goonies thrown in.
- An Ass-Kicking Christmas.
- Apple of Discord: The gift that the gang has to destroy. It's not what's inside the box, but the box itself. It's an empty box that when open it will give whoever opens it what they desire the most. But the key component used in making the box was Black Magic which brought out the worse in people and made them fight over it.
- Badass Santa
- Booby Trap: Gene warns the gang about booby traps inside. They had to go through three of them.
- Bears Are Bad News: The final booby trap was to wrestle a giant polar bear.
- Bowdlerization: The UK version edits out some of the more graphic scenes of gun violence (though other scenes are left in). The scenes missing are:
- Quilligin shooting Santa.
- All the scenes of Santa with bullet holes in his shirt are replaced with alternate scenes where there are no holes on his shirt.
- Santa's line, "Well, sorry to disappoint you. But I was just SHOT AT! Fell 35-hundred feet and crashed through a garage! Besides, all that other stuff was just made up by advertising companies. Trust me! I'm the real Santa Claus!" was cut down to "Trust me! I'm the real Santa Claus!".
- Cassandra Truth:
- Mordecai and Rigby tries to tell the others about Santa crash landing into Skips's garage.
- When the gang is trying to explain to Gene that they need to get to the mines to save Christmas.
- Audrey, Benson's neighbor, appears again.
- The gang goes to East Pine parks and meet Gene and his workers again. Gene also brings up the end of the prank war.
- Pops uses his wrestling skills against a polar bear.
- Christmas Episode
- Enemy Mine: Gene, the manager of East Pines park, helps the gang get to the mines when the Quillgin and his group came to the park to get the gift back.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Gene has a photo of him with his wife and kid (who are snack vending machines, too) enjoying Christmas which made him help the gang.
- Family-Friendly Firearms: Averted once again. Quillgin carries a real pistol with him and shot Santa in the chest in beginning of the episode. Thankfully Santa was wearing a bulletproof vest.
- Home Made Sweater From Hell: Nobody likes Benson's Christmas sweater. Even Santa doesn't like it.Santa: Benson, you should've toss that thing into the lava pit.
- Santa's comment turns out to be the last straw and he ditches the thing.
- Running Gag: Everyone telling Benson how ugly his sweater is.
- Saving Christmas
- Took a Shortcut: How Quillgin was able to catch up to the gang.