It's Summertime luh-uh-loving. It's loving in the Summertime.
Written by Sean Szeles
While cleaning the gutters of the house, Mordecai and Rigby comes across an old cassette tape of a song ("Summertime Loving, Loving in the Summer (Time)") that they used to like. They decide to listen to it but they quickly disliked it after hearing it. For the rest of the day, Rigby starts singing the song without realizing it which annoys Mordecai. Mordecai decides to help Rigby try to get the song out of his head.
This episode provides examples of:
- Big Damn Heroes: Benson near the end.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Summertime Loving, Loving In the Summer (Time).
- Earworm: In-Universe, "Summertime Loving, Loving in the Summer (Time)" and eventually "Aw, Snap!".
- Here We Go Again: After finally destroying the Summertime Song tape, Rigby got the new song stuck in his head.
- Hipster: Mordecai shows traits of this in this episode.
- The Power of Rock: The battle between Mordecai's band and the Summertime Song tape is manifested as two ethereal rockers using their guitars as swords.
- Start X to Stop X: If order for them to get rid of the Summertime Song tape, they decide to create an even more cheesy, catchy, and repetitive song.
- Suspiciously Similar Song: Throbbing Gristle's ''20 Jazz Funk Greats" sounds like Brain Explosion's music. Summertime Lovin, Loving in the Summertime seems to be a riff on the Lovin' Spoonful's Summer in the City.