Season 2, Episode 7
Reese and Finch go to a major hospital to investigate their latest number, a surgeon who is about to perform a risky surgery on the owner of a major power company. When the surgeon is blackmailed into deliberately botching the operation by Alistair Wesley, an ex-MI6
operative turned professional criminal, Finch must do what he can to slow the operation down until Reese can rescue Alistair's hostage.
Tropes in this episode:
- Arbitrarily Large Bank Account: Finch gives the hospital enough money to build an entirely new wing (or two) to get access to the hospital.
- Asshole Victim: Tell the truth, did you actually care if the patient died?
- Boring Insult: Reese in the end called Wesley "just a common thief."
- Crazy-Prepared: Alistair's plan would be considered ridiculously over-planned if he wasn't going up against Reese and Finch. Not only does he have a sniper targeting his hostage, he has the sniper wearing a high quality bulletproof vest in case someone takes the rifle away from him and shoots him with it. He also has several other men in the area, one of whom is dressed as a police officer in case the target realized she was being followed and went looking for help. And in case all of that fails, he also had a second agent in the hospital to make certain the operation failed in case the surgeon didn't back down.
- I Have Your Wife: Possibly the first time that this trope has been invoked on a same-sex couple on network television.
- Janitor Impersonation Infiltration: Mark Snow's plan.
- Loophole Abuse
- Squick: Finch, when he finds himself assisting in the surgery—though he manages to hold himself together well enough to be of assistance.
- Stealth Pun: "Agent Snow, freeze."
- Too Dumb to Live: Leon Tao's number comes up for the second time.
- Worthy Opponent: How Alistair views Reese.
- You Look Familiar: The actor who plays the mook Reese beats up in the pub previously appeared in "The Fix", as one of the hitmen trying to kill Zoe Morgan. Reese beat him up in that episode too.