Season 1, Episode 9
Reese: Your life's in danger.
Carter: I'm a cop. My life's always in danger.
With Detective Carter bull-headedly sticking her nose into various cases and continuing to investigate the rise of Elias as one of New York's most influential crime figures, it's no surprise to Reese and Finch when her number comes up. The pair dig deeper into Carter's life and background and learn that there's no shortage of people who might want her dead; chief among them is Elias himself, who has allied himself with "HR", a loose infrastructure of New York's corrupt cops and city officials that want to put the "organized" back in "organized crime" (and get paid, of course). With Reese and Finch watching her back, Carter tries to solve a gang killing and intervenes in a domestic dispute, unaware that Elias has decreed she be dead by the end of the day.
Tropes present in this episode include
- A Day in the Limelight: For Detective Carter, this week's POI. We learn she served in Iraq and is the single mother of a teenage son. Though it's implied that her husband is deceased, "Endgame" reveals that he is alive, but the relationship broke up when he refused to get treatment for his PTSD.
- Flashback: To Carter's time as an army interrogator in Iraq.
- Arc Words:
- "You can't play God."
- "It's a long war. You're all alone."
- "Whether you like me or not, Joss, you're not alone."
- Bullet Proof Vest: Saves Carter's bacon long enough for Reese to intervene.
- Grenade Launcher: Reese uses one to blast his way into Hector's garage. No one ever accused him of being subtle.
- Last Name Basis: Carter insists on it.
- Quip to Black - Reese: "Oh I'm... pretty close."
- Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: Carter was the least popular part of the show's ensemble until this episode, which redeemed her in the eyes of many viewers.
- Mileage definitely varies on this though, since other viewers felt the constant praise and admiration Carter receives from other characters during the episode (Reese and Finch especially) came across as Character Shilling instead.note The events at the end of the next episode did nothing to help her case with the non-fans either.
- Rogues Gallery Showcase: "HR" is introduced as working with Elias, who makes a brief cameo.
- Shown Their Work: The interrogation scenes are extremely realistic.