Recap: Person Of Interest S 01 E 04
Season 1, Episode 4:
Cura Te Ipsum
"Everybody needs someone to talk to."The latest person of interest is Megan Tillman, an emergency room doctor by day and bar-hopper by night. At first, Reese and Finch think that Megan is being targeted by a serial sex offender named Benton, but they soon discover that Megan is the one stalking Benton, planning to kill him as revenge for when Benton drugged and raped Megan's sister, who later committed suicide.Meanwhile, Detective Carter investigates the police lock-up robbery and visits one of the hostages, "Harold Burdett", an alias of Finch. He manages to throw Carter off the scent, but is convinced that it's only a matter of time before she catches up to them. In response, Reese pulls some strings to get Fusco transferred to the homicide task force, to the desk across from Carter, in order to keep an eye on her.
Tropes present in this episode include
- Actor Allusion: The title is Latin for "heal thyself", which is an allusion to the Gospel of Luke. As we all know, Jim Caviezel played Jesus in The Passion of the Christ.
- Ambiguous Situation / No Ending: The episode ends with Reese debating whether to let Benton go and trust his conscience to punish him, or to simply kill Benton himself.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Reese's first encounter with the cartel thugs is this. He needed to steal some of their drugs, and it was for a good cause.
- Date Rape: Andrew Benton's MO.
- Framing the Guilty Party: Reese tries this on Benton, but he's got good lawyers.
- He Who Fights Monsters: This is Reese's advice to Tillman, to try and convince her not to murder Benton. He's speaking from experience.
- I Don't Want To Know:Reese: Doctor has everything she needs to erase Benton for good.Finch: What do you mean, "erase"?Reese: Eight pounds of lye, heated to 300 degrees. Body will dissolve in three hours, give or take.Finch: I will refrain from asking how you know that.
- Naughty by Night: Subverted; Tillman's nighttime social life is actually a cover so she can zero in on Benton.
- Percussive Pickpocket: How Reese gets Benton's wallet.
- Rewatch Bonus: A dark one. The woman that Benton is with at the beginning of the episode can be seen later at the Rape Trama Meeting.
- Rewarded as a Traitor Deserves: Averted. Reese's response to Fusco giving him up to the cartel is to mildly order him never to do it again.
- With My Hands Tied: Near the end, Reese proves yet again just how much of a badass he really is when he takes down the cartel thugs with his hands cuffed.