Recap / Orphan Black S 05 E 03 Beneath Her Heart
Stuck on the sidelines with Neolutionists crawling all over her home, Alison seeks to return to her community center, but Bailey Downs has moved on from her. As she flounders to take back some semblance of control, the ghost of friendships’ past rears its handsome head. Art and his new partner show up at the Hendrix residence to continue their search for Helena, forcing Art to make a difficult moral judgement.
- Big Sister Instinct: Alison refuses to give away Helena's location, even under the threat of facing murder charges. She faces down Rachel alone, daring her to call an investigation into Leekie's death knowing that it'll bring too much attention to Neolution.
- Chekhov's Gun: The bottle of water laced with drugs. When Donnie collapses on stage, Alison realizes that he must have drunken it not knowing what was in it.
- A Day in the Limelight: This episode focuses squarely on Alison, especially her struggle with feeling useless to her sisters and being dissatisfied with her life.
- Decapitation Presentation: Alison goes to see Rachel in her office and presents her with Leekie's head in her purse.
- Due to the Dead: Clone Club holds a wake for M.K.
- Flashback: The episode has multiple flashbacks of Alison having a dinner party with Donnie, Aynsley, and Chad, when Alison and Cosima first met.
- Frame-Up: Art catches Maddie planting evidence of Pouchie's murder in Alison's house.
- Going Commando: Donnie wears a kilt for his highland dance with nothing underneath. When he ends up falling on stage, the in-universe audience gets an eye-full.
- Internal Reveal: Maddie finds the grave under the Hendrix home and forces Art to dig it up. Sarah tells Art that Donnie killed Leekie, and soon afterward Alison reveals the same thing to Rachel.
- Interscene Diegetic: Alison and Donnie singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" continues over a shot of Helena and then straight into the credits.
- Mushroom Samba: At the dinner party, Alison, Aynsley, and Chad get high on mushrooms.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Alison is reminded of her guilt over Aynsley's death when she's confronted by Aynsley's children and widowed husband.
- Not So Above It All: Rachel is genuinely shocked and disturbed when Alison reveals Leekie's severed head in her purse.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Alison gives a verbal lashing to the audience after one of them mocks Donnie for being high.
Alison: I know exactly what you all think of me. Well I'm not just a boozer, I'm a pill-popper too. That's right. And half of you bought them from me. Don't pretend you're so innocent. You're hypocrites! All of you, hypocrites. Nona, I see you. You know I've given my heart to this community and I can't help but feel a little bit hurt that you're pushing me to the side. But, y'know, I've atoned for my sins. And I have a life that is so much bigger than Bailey Downs. I am part of a sisterhood that you couldn't even begin to understand.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Kira pulling out a knife to experiment on her new pet mouse.
- Un-Confession: Alison starts to confess to Chad that she let Aynsley die, but gets interrupted before she can explain that she means she was literally there and allowed it to happen.
- Underestimating Badassery: No one will ever again make the mistake of underestimating Alison after she steps up in this episode.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: When a neighbor insults Donnie after his disastrous performance, Alison wastes time tearing into her verbally.
Alison: I may have my demons, but don't you dare go after my Donnie.