Recap: Once Upon A Time S 3 E 5 Good Form
Season 3, Episode 5:
With the deadly Dreamshade coursing through David’s body and close to death, Hook takes him on one last journey to find a sextant that could help them decipher a map that would lead them off Neverland. Meanwhile, in the Fairy Tale Land that was, Killian Jones – aka Hook – and his brother, Captain Liam, sail off under orders of the King to find a powerful indigenous plant on an uncharted land that could help heal any injury.
- The Atoner: Hook saves Prince Charming's life and claims to have done so to try to be a good man again. Pan isn't buying it.
- Bad Guys Do the Dirty Work: Regina takes the heart of a lost boy to give the heroes a mole in Pan's camp. Snow White is aghast at this, but Emma allows it, seeing it as necessary to give Henry a message of hope.
- Big Damn Kiss: Between Emma and Hook, after he saves David's life.
- It was also Emma and Hook's First Kiss together.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: The King whom the Jones Brothers serve under in the Navy. They believe him to be an honorable man, until they find out what Dreamshade really is, and promptly are ready to expose him.
- Deal with the Devil: Pan offers Hook a chance to run away home happily with Emma, all he has to do is kill Charming. Hook, trying to become The Atoner, doesn't take it.
- Mythology Gag: Killian's constant references to bad form are straight out of the original Peter Pan book.
- A literal one in the form of Pegasus, the winged horse from Greek mythology, whose feathers are used to make a sail that enables the Jones brothers' ship to fly. (And this in turn is also a reference to the Disney animated movie, wherein pixie dust enables Hook's ship to fly the Darlings home from Neverland.)
- Never My Fault: When Henry starts apologizing to the lost boy who's face he cut, Pan interjects and tells him that lost boys never have to apologize and thus never have to take responsibility for their actions.
- Out-of-Character Moment: Pan had a good day when the Jones brothers arrived on his shores. He told them about dreamshade's true qualities and gave them honest directions to the plant. Liam, Killian's elder brother and captain, refused to listen to the warning. When Liam started succumbing to the poison, Pan offered a cure and warned a heavy price would be paid - then conveniently disappeared and failed to explain what the price was, indicating that he may have just been screwing with them all along.
- Paper Cutting: Henry does this to a lost boy in a sword fight.
- Power at a Price: The waters of Neverland can heal any injury or poison and grant immortality... but only if you stay in Neverland. If you leave, you die.
- Start of Darkness:
- This time for Captain Jones/Hook. We discover that he and his brother who was the original captain sailed to Neverland on orders from their King to find a magical cure-all plant that turns out to be a very deadly Universal Poison. His brother tries the poison to prove that the King wasn't lying about its purpose and dies. This sends Jones into a Heroic BSOD and a Face-Heel Turn (yet he sees it as a Heel-Face Turn) where he chooses to become a lawless pirate along with his crew.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Hook. He was a genuinely good man before becoming a selfish pirate.
- What You Are in the Dark: Pan inflicts it on Hook to interrupt his Heel-Face Turn. Will he risk his own romance with Emma, which for the first time seems like a definite possibility, or hide the fact that Neal is alive from her?